How does one "see" found Primes?

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
Sorry if this is a "duh" type question, but I'm not seeing an obvious answer! :)

Under "Proth Prime Search (PPS, PPSE & PPS-Mega) tasks" it reports that one prime has been found. Obviously I'm curious as to what that is; not that a non-math person like me will be able to make much sense of it. ;)

Or is that little "found" chit the long and short of it?

In other news, a faster GPU would be nice. For giggles I turned PG on my home computer and enabled the GPU, a HD79xx (I think). Now managed to get a Genfer World Record assigned to it... and it needs six freaking days to finish! Guess I should've considered the ramifications of this a little more thoroughly! :p

Got to PrimeGrid website.
Click "Your Account"
Scroll down below all the stats for the other projects.
You will see all of the PrimeGrid sub projects listing details of how many points, work units, factors, primes you have done.
If you have a prime, there will be a number of how many of them you have found.
Click that number and it will take you to it.

Or, you can use this address: http://www.primegrid.com/primes/?section=primelist&userid=22054
But change the number at the end to your userid number. You can find that at the top of you user account page above your account key and weak account key.

D'Oh! Thank you, Gilthanis. :) Somehow I didn't notice that the "1" was a clickable link!

Doublechecker
Prime = 1683*2^1322718+1
Digits = 398,182 (decimal)
Subproject = Proth Prime Search
Prime Score = 35.098

Sure, I'll do that.

Never received an email about it; perhaps that's reserved for "extra special" results?

I'm guessing so as I never received notice of mine either.

Sorry if this is a "duh" type question, but I'm not seeing an obvious answer! :)

Under "Proth Prime Search (PPS, PPSE & PPS-Mega) tasks" it reports that one prime has been found. Obviously I'm curious as to what that is; not that a non-math person like me will be able to make much sense of it. ;)

Or is that little "found" chit the long and short of it?

In other news, a faster GPU would be nice. For giggles I turned PG on my home computer and enabled the GPU, a HD79xx (I think). Now managed to get a Genfer World Record assigned to it... and it needs six freaking days to finish! Guess I should've considered the ramifications of this a little more thoroughly! :p

Dont feel too bad about your GPU. Those Genefer (WR) tasks take a long time on any GPU and, in my experience, have a relatively high failure rate. I don't overclock any of my GPU's, but the failure rate on my machines was so bad I stopped accepting World Record tasks. There is nothing worse than crunching on a WU for 5 or 6 days, only to have it fail validation when it finishes.

I still crunch the normal Genefer WU's and those take only about 4:30 hours on my 7970's and 5:15 hours on my 7950's. I don't crunch Genefer tasks on my Nvidia GPU's because Genefer tasks require Double Precision and the Nvidia cards are absolute dogs at DP.

I run WR on my GPU's and the error rate doesn't seem that bad. Perhaps that is an AMD issue....?

I run WR on my GPU's and the error rate doesn't seem that bad. Perhaps that is an AMD issue....?

It could be an AMD issue, for sure. However, although I do not OC my GPU's, my GPU's are factory OC'd, so I have always attributed it to that (I know this is [H], but OC'd GPU's don't work so well when BOINCing :D ). I never really experimented with it much to find out the root cause because, frankly, I don't want to wait 5 or 6 days for one of these to finish to see the testing results and/or find out it failed. That's 5-6million lost Collatz points, had that GPU been running Collatz instead. I have a very good success rate with the regular Genefer tasks, so I just decided only crunching those was good enough for me.

Yeah... OC'd GPU's have trouble at GPUGrid quite a bit too. Sad part is over there, it all comes down to the batch of work units. There was at least one time where even stock clocks could be problematic...

You know, you two aren't helping much here! :p Am now starting to wonder if I should even bother to let this thing finish. Would hate to waste six days for nothing. :(

As these GPU's slowly die, I will replace them with stock clocks/stock cooler models. I had the wrong ideas when I bought my current GPU's. I was just in the early stages of my GPU crunching and all I was thinking about was the cooling on these cards compared to stock coolers. Later I figured out these type of coolers really only work well when you have only one GPU in your case. When running BOINC, it is much better to use the stock type coolers that actually suck air out of the case, instead of just blowing it around inside. I've had to do some "workarounds" to keep these cool enough to prevent them from throttling down due to heat (moved all of my crunchers to the basement and have 2 big box fans blowing on them 24x7). D'oh! Live and learn.

You know, you two aren't helping much here! :p Am now starting to wonder if I should even bother to let this thing finish. Would hate to waste six days for nothing. :(

If your GPU is running at stock clocks, you have a good chance of the task finishing and validating. Wait it out and see. That task is worth 500K-600K points if it validates. :cool:

Back