How does one properly store PC Hardware/Software?.

Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
29
Does anyone have any ideas on storing PC hardware components when not in use yet still functioning?. I recently got hired on as a IT Technician and I was planning on doing some cleaning and organizing to our storage where all PC parts/software are stored. I wanna improve at my organizing skills and I was hoping any of you had some resources on what I can use to put parts in and how to properly store them. Right now i see the storage is using cardboard boxes to keep ac adapters,mice, power surge, and other stuff.
 
Depending on the hardware and it's predicted future...

--If you expect it will just collect dust until being discarded, does it really matter? LOL.
--Otherwise, make sure all ESD susceptible hardware (memory, hard drives, video cards... anything with an exposed circuit board) is protected in a static safe bag.

Bubble wrap is notorious for generating static. Never wrap sensitive hardware in bubble wrap without placing it in a static bag FIRST.

I can't tell you how many ignorant techs I have seen pull salvaged parts out of a cardboard box or a desk drawer and say, "Hmm, it worked fine when I pulled it... ????"
 
I have a large steel cabinet in my office at work where I have several hundreds cards (GPUs, NICs, IDE/ RAID cards ...) on the bottom drawer all in antistatic bags. On the 2nd drawer I have 50 to 100 hard disks all in either plastic camshells or antistatic bags. The next highest drawer has probably a thousand dvds / cd-rs with software ..

I do use some of these from time to time usually in an emergency however I am not sure I will ever need an ISA based card again eventually we will end up paying to send these for recycling.
 
Back
Top