How Does One Network More Than One Printer to Multipal Computers??

jedihobbit

Gawd
Okay looks like I may have given the industry more credit than I should have. :eek:

I have two printers that I want to share between three computers and one oddball Apple ipad. In looking for inexpense standalone print servers they all seem to control just one printer.

So does that mean I would have to run to servers "parallel" using up two of my hard wire points on my router?

With just a few systems, why do you need a printer server? Install on each system using a tcp/ip port. If you really want a printer server, then just share out the printers that have been installed on one box. You don't need a dedicated box.

Most print servers are really just small boxes that sit behind your printer with a network plug and a usb plug. You'll have drivers to install a TCP/IP printer port on each of your computers and then you'll install your printer driver as well and tell it to use the TCP/IP port. Some of these mini print servers can have two printers plugged in to them but I've always seen mixed reviews. It will probably be easier to by one for each printer. Check Newegg for reviews and prices.

Out of the box, iPads print to Airprint compatible printers from HP. However there are third party apps you can get for your iPad to recognize your network printer.

One good tip when doing network printing is go into your router settings and set the IPs that the printers get as reserved. If not then if you have a power failure all your devices will ask for new IPs and if the printers get different IPs then you'll need to goto each computer and change the IP setting to print.

Back