How does one dual boot windows operating systems?

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
When you install linux it puts on a boot loader, lilo or grub, that lets you dual boot other operating systems. Windows does'nt do this. So how would I go about dual booting windows?

Usually, you install Windows first, and then install your dual-boot-friendly OS second. It is much easier to get LILO/grub to work with both Linux and Windows than it is to get Windows' boot.ini to work with both.

Fint said:
Usually, you install Windows first, and then install your dual-boot-friendly OS second. It is much easier to get LILO/grub to work with both Linux and Windows than it is to get Windows' boot.ini to work with both.

Both operating systems are Windows.

If you have no operating systems installed to begin with, boot from the first Windows CD to begin the first installation of Windows, and when it lets you created the partitions, create two. Then install the first Windows to one of those partitions.

When that is finished, boot from the second Windows CD and when it lets you create the partitions, choose the second empty partition to install it to. Let Windows install normally, and when you restart you should be given a menu to let you choose which installation to boot to.

If you already have Windows installed, you will need a program like Norton's PartitionMagic to create a new partition. Then boot from the second Windows CD and install to the newly created partition. Again, when you restart a menu will appear letting you choose which to boot.

Helpful, thank you.

Does it matter in which order you install the OS? I am going to do a dual boot using XP Pro and Server 2003 Enterprise.

I've heard people say always install the older one first (XP in this case) but i don't know how much it matters.

Back