• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How does one delete data from bad HDD?

jimmycrank

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
30
I'd like to send my HD to the manufacturer to get it RMAd (it's still under warranty). However, my bios cannot recognize the drive to access it to write zeros. What are my options?
 
haha... thermite. I'm not sure that thermite falls under "normal operating conditions" to satisfy the RMA.
 
you cant, it is dead, if you cant access it, your screwed and they are going to find all of the gay animal pron.
 
Last edited:
Magnets are probably not going to do the trick.

Next time, TrueCrypt the drive to keep your stuff private
 
Just an update...

Seems that the problem is that the hard drive is having difficultly getting up to speed which kills the boot. So to get around this... I connect the sata cord to the comp but instead of connecting the power from the comps PSU, I connect an SATA power cord from an IDE/SATA adapter I have lying about. Therefore I'm giving the drive constant juice from an outlet and ample time to spin up before booting the computer. Kinda ghetto but works like a charm. At least it will give me enough time to pull data off and wipe it.

Thanks for your help... (no need for the thermite hookup)
 
Back
Top