How Does Mobile Data Work?

FenFox

Limp Gawd
So I'm wondering how cell phone data works.

When I use my cell data, am I just connecting to an IP with say - 30 or so other people who're also using that network?

I spoke with a CS representative, but they didn't know the answer.

I'm with Virgin Mobile and they're owned by Bell, so they'd be using Bell's network.

I'm mostly asking because I'm trying to figure out how many people will be assigned to the same IP.
And is this a static or dynamic IP? Meaning, when I connect to my cell providers mobile data at different times/days, I assume I'll be sharing an IP with an entirely different group of people each time I connect?

dynamic IP and totally depends on your provider...

sometimes you'll get a private IP (RFC1918) and routed through a shared public gateway with any number of users (again, totally depends on provider), other times you'll get a public IP and you'll be the only one accessing from it...

afaik, you can also have a hybrid of both (sharing for ipv4 and a public for ipv6)

just get a traceroute app on your phone and start playing around with it

you either didn't read the article, or the OP

I think perhaps you did not fully read the article or understand it. I also may have overestimated some people's understanding of networks and communications. You get an IP assigned to the phone by the switching station of the cell tower. That IP changes based on where you connect from. Also most mobile networks use NAT, so many phones are using the same IP, similar to when you have multiple devices connecting to the same router in your house. But you can also exchange data without necessarily going through the switched networks. For instance calls can happen that only use the RF signal. There is no reason for an IP then. Same with text messages. Generally the voice and text will only use the company's network, unless you specify a text plan that includes other data. The reason you are paying for the "cellular data" on your phone is because it is switching it from the cell network to a data network which requires a lot more equipment overall and typically uses more bandwidth.

But all of this is pretty layman in terms of how it works. Perhaps there is an actual cellular engineer that can explain the process better.

EDIT:

Also for how they track how much data you use given that your IP may frequently change, you have specific identifiers your phone uses for the RF that are tagged when you connect to a tower and use the switch to the data network.

Last edited:
When you connect to the network you'll get an IP like you would with a regular ISP. They own blocks of IPs that they then assign to customers just like with regular internet. The fact that you are connecting wirelessly through the cell protocol to a tower is just how DSL is different than cable, it's just a different way to do layer 1. After that it's more or less the same, at least from my understanding... I could be wrong.

Most phones will tell you your IP address so you can probably check that as well. If you do a whois it will usually be owned by the "mobility" part of your ISP.

Ok, maybe I should get into specifics.

I was thinking about using my mobile data to browse various invite-only websites. I can't use my ISP connect with or without a VPN enabled.

Instead, I considered using my cell phone data tethered to my laptop. However, since I'm likely sharing the same dynamic data IP with X number of other people, It's probably not a good idea for me to do this.

If a member or former member from one of these websites has violated the sites terms of service while using the same IP as me, It's likely that I'll be kicked out as well even if I haven't violated the sites terms of service. The system won't be able to distinguish between myself and this other person.

This is why I wanted to know if the data IP was static, dynamic and how many other people are likely using the same IP as me at any given time so I could roughly calculate the probability of being lumped in with someone who violated the sites service agreement. But really, It's probably just not worth the hassle of investigating this issue and taking a chance. I should probably just try and come up with another way around this.

I can't use my ISP connect with or without a VPN enabled.

zGHQb4O.gif

What gives you the idea that you are sharing your IP with other people? Unless I'm missing something, I don't think cell networks work much differently than land line networks as far as how IPs are assigned.

What gives you the idea that you are sharing your IP with other people? Unless I'm missing something, I don't think cell networks work much differently than land line networks as far as how IPs are assigned.

OP might be talking about CGNAT?

Lucky I had the option to get a static IP address on my iPhone; that makes firewall settings quick a bit easier on the server I need shell access too. Else it really just work like a regular WIFI on the level we as user care about. On the lower levels of the ISO/OSI model the protocols sure are different.

Damn I wish my landline ISP would provide statics. They set the lease to 10 minutes which is ridiculous. A little blip on the network either at their end or my end, and I get a new IP. Makes firewall rules a pain.

Back