How does Bad Company 2 run for you?

2x AA/4x AF, Medium settings.

Haven't benchmarked, but I'd say I run from 35FPS-60FPS.

There are some slowdowns, but it's still playable.

With just 3GB I monitor on my secondary monitor and I usually still have ~900MB remaining so I don't think this game is a big RAM hog, surprisingly.

CPU wise, however, wow, yeah....the E6600 @ 3.2 GHZ is definitely taxed...100% most of the time.

My question:

How do you access settings such as shadow quality? Some of the settings you guys are listing I don't see on my list.

+2

Seems to run butter smooth on my GTX260 in dx9

+moar for this. I am also running an C2D overclocked to 2.9x. 260 is has a very stable overclock.

I run the default MED settings with HAOB turned off.

I was going to get a quad, but I see no reason to now. I will push it off for another year.

BTW, I only play 32 slot servers. The game as it is now, is much smoother then the beta was.

1920x1200 DX11
Everything high
8xAA 16xAF
HBAO on
FOV 74
Sound quality high

It runs really smooth, but occasionally it has a slight hiccup. It's not a big issue but it's weird how it does it randomly.

Does bloom make a bit hit on FPS? It's so pretty, I don't want to turn it off..but if it does, then I'll disable it.

8800GTS 320mb
Conroe running at 3.0 ghz.
4gb memory

When I first installed the game, I used medium settings at 1920x1200 native resolution. That did not run well at all in multiplayer. I lowered resolution to 1680x1080 and that helped a little. Then I lowered it even more to 1280x800 and that helped even more.

But I still had issues with my enemies appearing to "jump around" and a general feeling of low fps.

Last night, I went into Advanced settings and lowered the textures to medium (it was on high) and shadows to low. AA was set at 2x, so I lowered that to 1x. This helped with the fluidness a LOT.

After reading the fragcast post that someone linked here, I feel like I should probably check that INI for settings I can't fix in game.

Under medium settings, will my card default to dx10 and bloom:eek:n ? I'm hoping to get more fps from my system and raise the resolution to native.

Is 1920x1200, low quality, high-fps (40-60fps constantly) doable with my system if I adjust the mentioned settings?

8800GTS 320mb
Conroe running at 3.0 ghz.
4gb memory

When I first installed the game, I used medium settings at 1920x1200 native resolution. That did not run well at all in multiplayer. I lowered resolution to 1680x1080 and that helped a little. Then I lowered it even more to 1280x800 and that helped even more.

But I still had issues with my enemies appearing to "jump around" and a general feeling of low fps.

Last night, I went into Advanced settings and lowered the textures to medium (it was on high) and shadows to low. AA was set at 2x, so I lowered that to 1x. This helped with the fluidness a LOT.

After reading the fragcast post that someone linked here, I feel like I should probably check that INI for settings I can't fix in game.

Under medium settings, will my card default to dx10 and bloom:eek:n ? I'm hoping to get more fps from my system and raise the resolution to native.

Is 1920x1200, low quality, high-fps (40-60fps constantly) doable with my system if I adjust the mentioned settings?

Personally, I think your graphics card is seriously gimping you, ESPECIALLY at those resolutions. Get a new one!

Yeah I don't think you will be able to get smooth framerates at 1920x1200 with that card. I barely can with 2x 8800GT's.

For you guys running a single 260, it might be worth the upgrade to a sli setup after fermi comes out if the prices drop a bit. My friend is running 2x 260's and it runs in the 60's @ 1920x1200 all high, 8x AA, 16x aniso. I was amazed by how well it scales.

Yeah I don't think you will be able to get smooth framerates at 1920x1200 with that card. I barely can with 2x 8800GT's.

For you guys running a single 260, it might be worth the upgrade to a sli setup after fermi comes out if the prices drop a bit. My friend is running 2x 260's and it runs in the 60's @ 1920x1200 all high, 8x AA, 16x aniso. I was amazed by how well it scales.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to run 1920x1200 with medium/high resolution. I will be turning everything down and even dx9. Still undoable with this card you think?

I was thinking about getting a new 5850, but two things are keeping me away.

1) With the gtx480's coming out soon, I feel like it's time for the 5850's prices to finally drop.

2) Seems like a lot of people with 5850 and 5870 are having issues with long load times.

Okay, scratch my estimate of 35-60FPS. I'm at a steady 30FPS. Sigh. I'm going to try DX9, see what happens then.

Edit: Tried DX9. Maybe an increase of 10FPS. Not really worth it, DX10 looks way better.

+moar for this. I am also running an C2D overclocked to 2.9x. 260 is has a very stable overclock.

I run the default MED settings with HAOB turned off.

I was going to get a quad, but I see no reason to now. I will push it off for another year.

BTW, I only play 32 slot servers. The game as it is now, is much smoother then the beta was.

Have you ran FRAPS? I'm curious to see what you're running at.

Game runs fine for me on PC, once i actually get into the game.
My biggest problem is the horrible laggy server browser.
For some reason it has actually got worse with the latest server patch.
Now when i click on refresh list it will sometimes pop up saying cannot connect to ea server, and yet it will actually start to update the list of servers.
At this point the interface slows to a painful crawl while it updates the thousands of servers.
This takes minutes to do, at which point the user interface is barely controllable.
Also there is no way to stop it from refreshing the server list.

Other then that, once i actually find a server that is not full, or as long as i don't get EA server connectivity error messages, or punkbuster problems, then finally once i am in game all is fine, and everything plays well. ( except voip does not work, and i cant map some keys on keyboard)

Everything in game runs smooth and works well so long as ping is below 150 ( typically i play on servers that say ~40+ ping in browser, that are more like 60 to 90 ping in game.

920Corei7 cpu, GTX285OC vid, 6GB DDR3 ram, intel gigabit nic card, SB XFI Fatality sound card, 1920x1200 monitor, everything maxed, 4x AA, HBAO off, vsync on. Win Vista 64bit, dx10. 1TB WD Blacks in raid 0.

Last edited:
I need some advice, I get major slow downs on this game.

Heres my system
WINXP sp3 heavily modified
Q6660 stock clock speeds
4gigs of patriot ram running at 4-4-4-12
BUT only 2.75 is recognizable in XP
BFG8800gtx OC 768mb
400gig SATA drive 7200rpm
just did a brand new install of xp

heres my settings in game :
1920x1200
Everything is set to low besides terrain which is medium.
1xaa 1xaf
Vsync = on ( cant stand tearing )
hbao = off
dx9
oh and running a custom FOV

I'm getting on average at the start of the game around 30-55fps
Once things start to blow up it gets down to 25fps
When Im scoped say with the 4x optical i'll be getting 15fps
but then when i un scope im getting like 50fps again whats with that?

Do you think upgrading my operating system will be a big help (considering the ram)
or do you think I should over clock my CPU, gpu?
thanks dudes

Are there others here that are getting no ping whatsoever in the server browser?

None of my servers show a ping anymore. But when I am in game, I will ping anywhere from 140 (good server for me) to over 200. What I don't understand is that I had many servers where I was less than 60 ping in BF2, but none are even close for me here. In addition, I've moved to a new area and now have FIOS. I can download 3 megabytes in one second (so approximately 1 GB in less than 6 minutes. But I can't find any good servers to ping to.

Does bloom make a bit hit on FPS? It's so pretty, I don't want to turn it off..but if it does, then I'll disable it.

bloom gives you a tactical disadvantage compared to players who have it off, fuck eye candy, smooth framerate + lots of kills > state of the art graphics for me

I need some advice, I get major slow downs on this game.

Heres my system
WINXP sp3 heavily modified
Q6660 stock clock speeds
4gigs of patriot ram running at 4-4-4-12
BUT only 2.75 is recognizable in XP
BFG8800gtx OC 768mb
400gig SATA drive 7200rpm
just did a brand new install of xp

heres my settings in game :
1920x1200
Everything is set to low besides terrain which is medium.
1xaa 1xaf
Vsync = on ( cant stand tearing )
hbao = off
dx9
oh and running a custom FOV

I'm getting on average at the start of the game around 30-55fps
Once things start to blow up it gets down to 25fps
When Im scoped say with the 4x optical i'll be getting 15fps
but then when i un scope im getting like 50fps again whats with that?

Do you think upgrading my operating system will be a big help (considering the ram)
or do you think I should over clock my CPU, gpu?
thanks dudes

try 171.13 forceware and/or upgrade to windows 7 64bit, i've compared both OSs in bc2 dx9 and windows 7 is faster by a good margin, overclocking that cpu should help too, go for 3 ghz at least
Your gpu unfortunately is holding you back too, i'm sure you'll see huge gains if you upgrade to 5850 or faster

Thanks for the reply! I'll overclock tonight and report back! Might just end up ordering windows 7, is the home version the best? I'm looking at newegg and it has the most reviews and is the cheapest so I assume its good for what I need? gaming, web surfing etc etc lol

There is no performance advantage between the different versions of Windows 7

Professional version does everything home does but also allows you to join domains (which is probably useless for a home user) and also allows you to remote into your computer, which I personally do find useful.

Ultimate version does everything professional does but adds media center features among a few other gadgets.

Here's something interesting:

Buddy's system:

"playin atacama desert right now at 1920z1080 2xmsaa 8xaa all settings high 32 players, wotj smoke and etc im running around 40fps min 65 high"

with these specs:

hd4870
4gb ram
amd phenom ii x4 3.4gnz black edition

---

I'm on basically an identical card, but I run at 2xaa 2xaf medium settings at get 40 FPS TOPS.. typically about 30FPS.

SOOOOOO, let us take the time to conclude:

THIS GAME WANTS A QUAD CORE BADLY.

I find the game playable after turning down some settings - it definitely feels like it could use some more optimization though. I'm running at 1920x1200, 4xaa, 4xaf, vsync on, HBAO off, DX9. I have effects on medium and shadows on low - turning down shadows seems to have a significant effect on performance for me.

My specs:
i5 750 (stock speeds for now)
8gb RAM
GTX 260 (216)

I have a strange issue with my sound though. Sometimes my sound will glitch in the game and cut off sound for my whole system. The only way to bring it back is to reboot my PC. I've updated the audio drivers for my motherboard and turned the sound down to low in game but it still occasionally glitches out. Has anyone else experienced any audio issues?

ya min 30fps when i ran dualcore at 4ghz now with quad at 3.2 my min is 50fps ati 4850 oc'd i play at 1440x900 all high cept hbao off bloom off and shadows low. no aa or af. i get 60+ most the time.

Ok, I turned everything to the lowest settings possible, with the exception of resolution at 1280 x 800 (I think it can go down a little bit more).

In a 32 man server, my average frame rate is in the 30s, with low 40s possible when other players are not around and mid 20s when there is heavy firefight. It's a lot more playable, but ugly as hell.

This reminds me of when I first played battlefield 2 four years ago with my p4 system running a 9800pro. Turned everything on low just to get the best frame rates. Even when I eventually upgraded to a 7600GT, I still kept settings on low to be as smooth as possible. Once I built my sig rig, I was able to keep everything on high and my KDR soared through the roof.

Game is much smoother with 50-60 frames especially when aiming at a moving target.

Well I have the game running semi stable .. it still crashes after sometime. I'm gonna reinstall windows tomorrow and try again.

However I notice that the hit box / lag interpolation kinds sucks randomly even with a good ping and no packet loss. I hope thats something they work on in the near future.

i hope my laptop thats coming in on wednesday can run this. i7 720 with mobility hd4670. res is only 1600x900

Ok, I turned everything to the lowest settings possible, with the exception of resolution at 1280 x 800 (I think it can go down a little bit more).

In a 32 man server, my average frame rate is in the 30s, with low 40s possible when other players are not around and mid 20s when there is heavy firefight. It's a lot more playable, but ugly as hell.

This reminds me of when I first played battlefield 2 four years ago with my p4 system running a 9800pro. Turned everything on low just to get the best frame rates. Even when I eventually upgraded to a 7600GT, I still kept settings on low to be as smooth as possible. Once I built my sig rig, I was able to keep everything on high and my KDR soared through the roof.

Yeah, new Battlefield games always make me want to upgrade, it seems...

I actually decided to risk updating my ATi drivers to 10.3 preview from 9.12 and had about a 50% increase in FPS. Was at about 40-50 and now I'm between 70-100 with everything maxed but HBAO.

Runs great for me.

2560x1600 2xMSAA
All eye candy enabled

System Specifications
Thermaltake ToughPower 1200 watt
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz
EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified (144-BL-E759-A1)
12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz DDR3 (6x2GB)
2x Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 1 (RAID-0) -8820 Firmware
Samsung DVD-R/RW Drive (SATA)
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5970 (Diamond Multimedia, stock clocks)

Runs great for me.

2560x1600 2xMSAA
All eye candy enabled

System Specifications
Thermaltake ToughPower 1200 watt
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz
EVGA X58 3X SLI Classified (144-BL-E759-A1)
12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz DDR3 (6x2GB)
2x Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 1 (RAID-0) -8820 Firmware
Samsung DVD-R/RW Drive (SATA)
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5970 (Diamond Multimedia, stock clocks)

always top end i see.

always top end i see.

Naturally. :D

I am looking to add more Dell 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC's for Eyefinity and a second Radeon HD 5970 for some CrossfireX action. Though my SSD's feel a little long in the tooth with Intel's G2 drives and so many other great drives hitting the market.

Anyone running 8800GTX SLI? Just curious of single gpu vs SLI performance.

It's probably not a proper comparison, but I just flipped my 8800M 1GBs in my M1730 notebook over to SLi a few days ago and, aside from some weird flickering of the screen before the intro video launches, I have noticed better performance in-game. I haven't actually looked at FPS sorry, but in both single and multi I noticed that FPS stayed in the playable range much more, especially when there was a lot of dust/snow/smoke on the screen.

Naturally. :D

I am looking to add more Dell 3007WFP/3007WFP-HC's for Eyefinity and a second Radeon HD 5970 for some CrossfireX action. Though my SSD's feel a little long in the tooth with Intel's G2 drives and so many other great drives hitting the market.

Kyle must pay good.

[H]ardOCP work is just a part time thing. The rest of the time I work in the IT industry. I make a decent living but I don't have a ton of debt nor do I have children, I'm not married, etc. So my money is *MY* money. :D

That helps a lot.

Back