• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How does a headset work?

eli2k

Weaksauce
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
92
I want to get a headset so I can talk to people online while in game, instead of having to type. So I want the mic on my head, but I still want to hear the ingame audio from the external speakers, not from a headset. Do USB headsets allow this, or do I have to find one that has both mic and line-out connectors? I spoke to a person at Fry's and I did not get a clear enough answer.

Thanks,
- Eli
 
The word headset implies that the microphone is attached to a pair of headphones. You could get a boom microphone that sits on your desk or one that clips onto your shirt instead.
 
As ashmedai said, you can get a desk microphone or a clip-on one. I don't see why you wouldn't get these rather than a headset for what you're saying (since it sounds like you won't have any audio coming from the headset?).

However, the answer to your question is yes, depending on the headset and the software I guess. For example, my brother has a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB headset and when the headset is plugged in, it basically is picked up as having it's own "soundcard". Therefore you can do some useful things like hear voices and chat from a voice-chat program (such as Ventrilo or Skype) through the headset, but listen to music or have your game sounds come from your speakers.
 
I'd like to wear the mic so the micunit itself is near my mouth, so I don't have to yell or shout if it's a foot away on my desk, or clipped down below on my shirt.
 
With current tech you don't have to yell into a mic if its 1-2 feet away from your mouth.
 
Back
Top