How does 6600 compare?

perplex

Gawd
Does a 6600 (NOT GT) equal the fastest Geforce 4? or is it closer to 9800 Pro performance? I tried looking for reviews but just found 6600GT reviews and not 6600.

To make it simple:

The 6600 will be much faster than the 4800 SE in modern games thanks to the much newer memory architecture (Nvidia improves their crossbar with every generation), Shader 3.0, and twice the shader units.

In older games, they will be closer, but the 6600 will still be faster.

The 6600 is slower than the 9800 Pro linked, due to much less memory bandwidth, but not by a huge margin.

If you have the opportunity, the 6600 GT is a much better card, and puts even a 9800 Pro to shame.

I just need something that is 99fps (constant) capable in CS 1.6. The CPU will be medium to high-end so that should be OK, for example: low end Conroe or X2 4200+. It's just the graphics card I wasn't too sure about.

Thanks.

lol you don't need a Conroe for CS 1.6...

A single core will do fine for that and a 6600 will also do fine.

WOW, CS 1.6, CS:S, and Warcraft 3 all run great on my 6600 non-GT. I would have purchased the 6600GT, but I just couldn't pass up the $90 Asus 6600.

In my case, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to spend $300 on an AGP card that won't work with my next mobo anyway. I'm going to do a system rebuild after Conroe ships (not that I'll necessarily get Conroe, but AMD's pricing is going to get a lot more attractive after Conroe), so every last dollar that I spend now on a card is money that won't be going into my next system.

I play at 1680x1050 in the games that support it, the native resolution of my 2005fpw. The Asus card is pretty quiet, too. Works great under Vista, too.

Shameless Liar said:
lol you don't need a Conroe for CS 1.6...

A single core will do fine for that and a 6600 will also do fine.

Maybe not but I'm not getting it just for CS 1.6. I want to hopefully never need to upgrade again as I don't game at all except CS 1.6. I might buy something like X2 4400+ after the Conroe makes the prices drop. But Conroe seems like it will price very attractively anyway so I might just get that.

Back