How do you use Portrait mode?

SoundsGood

n00b
Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out how to use portrait mode. I know how to physically flip the monitor on the swivel, but how do you tell the computer to turn sideways?

If it helps, I've got a Dell U2410 monitor and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 video card in my Sony laptop.

Thanks!

rotate.png

The exact options in Catalyst Control Center might differ since you might be using an old one since you're on a laptop, but it should be somewhere under Displays.

As for doing it in Windows, it depends on which version you're using. It's ridiculously simple in 7. Right click your desktop, select Screen Resolution, and there's an option on that window to change orientation.

The exact options in Catalyst Control Center might differ since you might be using an old one since you're on a laptop, but it should be somewhere under Displays.
I can't seem to find anything that says "rotate" (or anything like that). Is it possible that the ATI HD 3400 doesn't have a rotate function?

As for doing it in Windows, it depends on which version you're using.
I'm still on Vista.

If you want a program that adds shortcut functions for this, so you can flip between orientations quicker...
Thanks, I'll look into this, but now I'm not sure if my laptop is even capable of rotating.

What about here, under "Desktop Properties" in the CCC (mine is disabled because I have an Eyefinity group configured)

Nope. All of the dropdown boxes are there EXCEPT for the "Rotation" dropdown. :(

Are you sure you're looking at the properties for the right monitor? Have you tried updating the driver (if you can)?

I know its not a Vista or mobile GPU limitation. My old Lenovo ThinkPad with a FireGL V5200m (basically an x1600m) supported rotation just fine. Was kind of fun to rotate the laptop's display and then set it on its side :)

Looks like the driver version is: 8.474.0.0
Driver date: 3/12/2008

I did a search for an updated driver but came up empty. Any suggestions on where to get an new driver?

Looks like the driver version is: 8.474.0.0
Driver date: 3/12/2008

I did a search for an updated driver but came up empty. Any suggestions on where to get an new driver?

Desktop drivers straight from AMD and Mobility Modder.

I checked my laptop with a Mobility X1400 and it has a rotate option.

I've got a Sony Vaio notebook, and it says:

The following notebooks are not supported in this release:

* Any notebook launched after this driver release.
* Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets.
* Toshiba notebooks (please check with your notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
* Sony VAIO notebooks (please check with your notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
* Panasonic notebooks (please check with your notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

You can try mobility modder as suggested, I used to use it when I was using Win XP. It just converts desktop drivers to mobile drivers.

Back