How do you use 1Gbps Internet links?

I'm gonna throw out a point here... for you people claiming you'd be using RDP on it from the outside... most connections in the outside world arent nearly that fast, you'd be nowhere near saturation with 100 RDC connections...

This is what I first thought: No more carrying around multiple SD cards! I'll just host it all at home and stream it. but WOAH agian, my external connection is NOT 1gbps, hell it's rarely even 5mbps unless I'm in Atlanta. So... yeah, music, pictures, books, low-bandwith stuff works great, but no movies or such... Only way I'd ever saturat it woudl be uh.. sharing Linux ISOs ;)

I would, ToS allowing, use it for hosting, but keeping in mind I'd have to use a laptop or something with a huge battery incase the pwoer went out since hosting services need 99.9% uptime...

and at whoever said tehy only once maxed out their connection on download, We have a guy in town with soemthing like 13mbps, he said he only found 3 servers who could max THAT out: Apple, Microsoft, and Sun. (and this is only 13mbps, not even 100mbps!)

Iand at whoever said tehy only once maxed out their connection on download, We have a guy in town with soemthing like 13mbps, he said he only found 3 servers who could max THAT out: Apple, Microsoft, and Sun. (and this is only 13mbps, not even 100mbps!)

I have 16Mbps, and I can max it out almost EVERYWHERE, from joe blows website, to torrents, steam, and the big players(sourceforge, MS servers, etc).

Sure, there plenty sites who use crappy hosting, or horribly over-provisioned hosting, but most site no matter who they are, max out my 16mbps EASY.

I'm gonna throw out a point here... for you people claiming you'd be using RDP on it from the outside... most connections in the outside world arent nearly that fast, you'd be nowhere near saturation with 100 RDC connections...

This is what I first thought: No more carrying around multiple SD cards! I'll just host it all at home and stream it. but WOAH agian, my external connection is NOT 1gbps, hell it's rarely even 5mbps unless I'm in Atlanta. So... yeah, music, pictures, books, low-bandwith stuff works great, but no movies or such... Only way I'd ever saturat it woudl be uh.. sharing Linux ISOs ;)

I would, ToS allowing, use it for hosting, but keeping in mind I'd have to use a laptop or something with a huge battery incase the pwoer went out since hosting services need 99.9% uptime...

and at whoever said tehy only once maxed out their connection on download, We have a guy in town with soemthing like 13mbps, he said he only found 3 servers who could max THAT out: Apple, Microsoft, and Sun. (and this is only 13mbps, not even 100mbps!)

No need for a laptop, just a good UPS, and one of these:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...atchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true

:D

But seriously, with that kind of bandwidth, it would be worth all the effort. Get two for n+1 redundancy, get decent AC units installed too or just make one using antifreeze that circulates outside. You could host 100 servers with 10mbps dedicated for say, 100/mo. That's some nice cash. Assuming it's unmeetered, you may as well offer that to the clients too.

I found this online a long time ago in some research I was doing for school. I have no idea if anything even became of it though. Hell, maybe those days where we all have those speeds are close than we know. :p

No need for a laptop, just a good UPS, and one of these:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...atchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true :D
But seriously, with that kind of bandwidth, it would be worth all the effort. Get two for n+1 redundancy, get decent AC units installed too or just make one using antifreeze that circulates outside. You could host 100 servers with 10mbps dedicated for say, 100/mo. That's some nice cash. Assuming it's unmeetered, you may as well offer that to the clients too.

I acctually have one of those! (not nearly that nice though) got it for the big apocalypse that we had in Y2K :rolleyes:

I'm waiting to see... we honestly are getting 1gbps lines comming through my area, but I have no idea the $$$ or caps (or ToS) depending on how things go... you really may see me set up hosting :D

Back