How do you unlock new TF2 weapons?

H3d Case

Limp Gawd
Just curious I mean they dont even fucking tell you how to get them or anything???

Um...they list exactly what you have to do for each achievement in the description. Get the achievements, get the weapons. Just like the medic. I believe you get weapons at 10, 15, and 20 achievements.

For example:

PyroAchievements1.png

PyroAchievements2.png

Quite a few of them are things that just "happen" rather than actual goals or achievements, it's kind of weird.

if you go into an empty server with a friend you can get most of them pretty quick, i got first two guns easily like this.

wait. so more classes have new weapons.. That's cool..

Seriously, you can fairly easily get every Pyro weapon upgrade from gameplay alone. The Medic ones are retardedly difficult. Most of them require outside aide and planning to do. A decent ammount can come from game play but not a lot. I particularly hate the ones that force you to be counter productive to the "TEAM fortress 2" aspect of the game and run around trying for spacific kills. Require skills yes okay, it happens as medic quite often, but ugh I hate having to stand around and purposfully NOT hurt anyone when my hurting or fighting could save the round for my team :mad:

Anybody want to buddy up and do the Pyro achievements tonight? I did a few last night, but it's easier on a server alone. I'll host a game, plan to spend 45min or a little more.

I think the idea of a level/xp system with TF2 is totally retarded in the first place. Perhaps they could allow for the 'original' version of the game to still be played, and call the 'upgraded' one TF2.2 or something. I enjoy he happy go lucky, you get better with your own skill rather than the 'computer helps me because I got unlocks' method. Shooters with XP totally turn me off... most I dont even want to play long enough to get all the unlocks... I play for a few months, and then buy the next 'big thing' that comes out.

Anybody want to buddy up and do the Pyro achievements tonight? I did a few last night, but it's easier on a server alone. I'll host a game, plan to spend 45min or a little more.

I think I'll be down. Wanna PM me your Steam/Xfire if you have it? Also, what time are you thinking?

I'm down for some "achievement whoring" if anyone wants. Just need a time and place. I tried some of the achievement maps and there's just way too may asshats to get anything done.

Ahh sigh, I may be. This is feeling almost like RPG-level grinding.

Make an [H] achievement server, puahaha.

Ahh sigh, I may be. This is feeling almost like RPG-level grinding.

Make an [H] achievement server, puahaha.

Yeah I agree. It's kinda lame but I've got nothing else going on at the moment. I'll join if someone sets up a server.

Ha, I played til 6am last night.
I got 20 achievements done. just 2 more and I will get the final weapon. :D
This game got a whole lot more fun with this.

I got to say though. That flare gun is one of the most useful weapons to me It is awsome to kill a sniper long range by setting on fire.

I haven't played TF2 in a few months, but these give me a reason to play it.
I got 5 of the pyro achievements within the first half hour on a server.
Although some of them are difficult and will take a long time to get.

This thread pretty much solidifies the primary flaw of valve's whole unlock system. The fact that grinding for the unlocks is the norm is really disheartening. If everyone's going to stage the achievements anyways (which should be obvious to the developers with the number of 24/7 achievement servers going), why not just give players all the weapons from the start? I remember when everyone just got the original 17 achievements legitimately because there were no strings attached and it was much more entertaining and meaningful.

Well that's why you have a choice. You can try to get the achievements the hard (and fun) way, or you can go to an achievement server. Same with battlefield 2. Remember those knive and pistol servers? Sure you can do it that way, but it's not fun...at least to me.

Acheivements are just that, they will come by simply playing the game a lot. The only achievements I would consider farming are Scout achievements as I hate playing scout.

I'm closing in on the Pyromancer achievement, 900,000 points and just 100,000 to go. Very satifying when you get something you have worked hard for

Last edited:
Achievement servers are pathetic. Might as well use an achievement editor that lets one unlock or relock accomplished and unaccomplished achievements.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=558371

Thats what I did last time for the scout. Valve will catch you though. They removed the unlocks, but then they came back a week later. Achievements are for bored kids with entire days to waste, no thank you valve.

entire days?? the whole point of achievement servers is that the entire map is rigged for you to trigger every one instantly, with the least amount of effort. just get a buddy to help you with the ones that need targets. if you're trying to get them asap and it takes you more than 1/2 to 1 hour than you're doin it wrong.

normal gameplay is the best way to get them imo, if you're an impatient bastard then achievement server is ok, as long as you're not dicking around in regular games to get your weapons.

Thats what I did last time for the scout. Valve will catch you though. They removed the unlocks, but then they came back a week later. Achievements are for bored kids with entire days to waste, no thank you valve.

They came back a week later because Valve can't prove that you used an unlocker, only infer that you did by getting too many, too fast. Just be more modest in how many you give yourself at a time and you won't have a problem.

If it weren't for the new weapons being tied to the achievements, I would take issue. But christ, I'd rather people used the unlocker then run around doing idiotic stuff like only ubering scouts and taunting while ubered in an attempt to get the achievements so they can use the unlocks.

They came back a week later because Valve can't prove that you used an unlocker, only infer that you did by getting too many, too fast. Just be more modest in how many you give yourself at a time and you won't have a problem.

If it weren't for the new weapons being tied to the achievements, I would take issue. But christ, I'd rather people used the unlocker then run around doing idiotic stuff like only ubering scouts and taunting while ubered in an attempt to get the achievements so they can use the unlocks.

Exactly. People come into the regular server, with no intentions of actually playing, just running around like tards trying to get their achievements.

I'm with you both, I see players dicking about when the rest of the team is trying their hardest to win. Claasic case in point was a Scout double jumping on the spot whilst we were getting pummeled by multiple heavies. They should get off and jump on an achievement server or unlock the bloody thing

Well that's why you have a choice. You can try to get the achievements the hard (and fun) way, or you can go to an achievement server. Same with battlefield 2. Remember those knive and pistol servers? Sure you can do it that way, but it's not fun...at least to me.

But remember, BF2/2142 do it on a total point system so you don't need to ridiculous things to get a new rank and an unlock, you just need to play the game and do things that you would normally do. Awards in BF2/2142 are just for bragging rights mostly. 2142 they have a point value which only adds to your score but they aren't required to move up in rank and the unlock.

Not that the BF way is perfect, but it means you don't get jackasses just doing stupid shit to get awards. Award servers exist in BF but they don't really help the player at all. There are stat padding servers as well but again, this keeps the jackasses off the normal servers and maybe ruins the leaderboard which is pointless anyway to most people.

But remember, BF2/2142 do it on a total point system so you don't need to ridiculous things to get a new rank and an unlock, you just need to play the game and do things that you would normally do. Awards in BF2/2142 are just for bragging rights mostly. 2142 they have a point value which only adds to your score but they aren't required to move up in rank and the unlock.

Its a good point. You played more (normally) and got ranks and such that way.
With TF2, you have to do retarded shit that hampers your team from winning for the most part.

Its a good point. You played more (normally) and got ranks and such that way.
With TF2, you have to do retarded shit that hampers your team from winning for the most part.

exactly, achievements shouldn't be used as a requirement for anything.

now that i think about it BF2 uses awards for some of the special and really high up ranks. They require you to have certain awards but the ones they want you to have, you should probably already have by the time you get to those ranks figuring it will take you 1000+ hours of game play.

The achievements should be just that, silly little things to strive for but shouldn't impact game play. Not every player will be able to achieve the awards the normal way and making them a required part is what makes them useless because people will not do things the normal way to get them. Plus, if the requirement is silly and backwards, they should change them.

This bears out as the two of the best achievements in TF2 are Pyromancer and Kollectivization. Both you need to play a lot and you will be rewarded/satified when you do 'achieve' these. Too many of the achievements in TF2 are gimmicky and bear little relation to real world gameplay. Who taunts over a ragdoll for starters?

Sorry but I have fun doing retarded things in TF2 in order to get achievements. They are funny.

Sorry but I have fun doing retarded things in TF2 in order to get achievements. They are funny.

Sure they are funny, but not very *team* oriented.
OH HAI im gonna sit here double jumping for an hour while my team gets raped. LULZ

I got 2 unlockable weapons through gameplay, then decided to just go to an achievement server, and immediately regretted it.

It is satisfing to get an acheivement the hard way.

For Spy and Sniper, I will unlock them the old fashioned way.

for the most part you get them just from playing, the medic one took some work because when it first came out it was really hard. then after the pyro update was much easier they went back and made medic one easier.

i never play scout so not sure how that is but pyro/heavy i got just by playing the class more then i normally do and unlocked everything with out really even trying. every attempt to get some unlock got in the way of just having fun so i just played and unlocked them.

i dont like that "Achievements" can be cheated. the whole point is to earn something. IMO they should only be unlocked only on servers using official maps and configs.

using achievement server is cheating.

main server i play on always puts a class limit on what ever class is getting unlocked to prevent people flooding 1 type of class and ruining the game for everyone.

If I have calculated correctly with the 2 new updates there will be 238 achievements, bloody hell! That'll keep us busy for a while

I haven't played TF2 in a while too, but just got back into it. TF2 hooked me once again!!

Back