How do you set up a wireless extender?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Bought a netgrear extender.

This is what I have done. I attached it wired to the current router. I can use my machine to connect to it. I go through the configuration wizard. It detects my network. It says it will restart.

I do this. Now shouldn't I then be able to just plug it in to the wall somewhere else in my house so that it extends the signal? It doesnt seem to extend it. I keep getting the Low connection message, even when I am next to it..

Advise?

thanks

this one?
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGX102.php

In that case, there is an install manual:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgx102_install_guide.pdf

and a reference guide:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgx102_manual.zip

It appears to me that you need both the XE102 and the WXE102.

If you have that, please let us know about this:
After you turn on power to the WGX102, the following sequence of events should occur:
1. When power is first applied, verify that the Power light is on.
2. After approximately 10 seconds, verify that:
a. The power light is solid green.
b. The HomePlug port (called the Internet port in Router Mode) light is lit.
c. The Wireless port light is lit.
since that would help us understan whether your device is broken, the ethernet over power-line isn't working or what else there may be for reasons.

drizzt81 said:
this one?
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGX102.php

In that case, there is an install manual:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgx102_install_guide.pdf

and a reference guide:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wgx102_manual.zip

It appears to me that you need both the XE102 and the WXE102.

If you have that, please let us know about this: since that would help us understan whether your device is broken, the ethernet over power-line isn't working or what else there may be for reasons.

Hmm, what is this Ethernet over power line? I am not familiar with it. And only the power light is on..

jordan12 said:
Hmm, what is this Ethernet over power line? I am not familiar with it. And only the power light is on..
Ok, Ethernet-over-powerline is how the two devices (XE102 and WXE102) talk. they send network signals over the power lines in your home.

From chapter 9:
HomePlug/Internet or Wireless Port Lights Not On
If either the HomePlug/Internet or the Wireless light are not lit, check the following:
• Make sure that the Ethernet cable connection is secure at the XE102 and the router it connects
to.
• Be sure you are using the correct cable on the router that the XE102 is connected to. When
connecting the router’s Internet port to a cable or DSL modem, use the cable that was supplied
with the cable or DSL modem. This cable could be a standard straight-through Ethernet cable
or an Ethernet crossover cable.

so is your XE102 plugged into the wall outlet? you know that you cannot use power-strips etc with the XE102.

Let me make sure that i understand correctly:

You have both the XE102 (thing that plugs into your router and into the wall socket) and a WXE102, right? The XE102 must stay attached to your router and the wall socket at all times. Then you can plug the WXE102 into an outlet in your home and it should act as a WLAN access point at that location.

Network packets would travel like this:

[PC] ~ Wireless ~ [WXE102] ~ Power Line ~ [XE102] ~ Ethernet Cable ~ [Router] ~various ways~ [destination]

Won't workie... the d-link ones(AFAIK) work wirelessly, to extend the signal of another D-link product... I have used 3 of them, and they work flawlessly, with each other, and with DI-624's...

QJ

Back