Coldblackice
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 14, 2010
- Messages
- 1,156
How can you visualize the quality difference between two files (to whatever extent possible)?
Over the years, I've read of audiophiles using audio programs and spectrograms to determine actual quality, and in particular, to determine if a file has been upconverted (uselessly) from a lower bitrate to a higher one.
From what I've dug up thus far in Google's fields yonder, is to look at the spectrograms of the two files and look for hard frequency cutoffs, which typically signal a low-pass filter having been applied somewhere in the process -- thus, typically the result of an upconverted mp3 (particularly when the cutoff is around 15-16Khz).
What other things/patterns/traits can I look for? And not necessarily just to determine if something's been upconverted, either -- any kind of visual representation of quality, artifacts, etc.
Over the years, I've read of audiophiles using audio programs and spectrograms to determine actual quality, and in particular, to determine if a file has been upconverted (uselessly) from a lower bitrate to a higher one.
From what I've dug up thus far in Google's fields yonder, is to look at the spectrograms of the two files and look for hard frequency cutoffs, which typically signal a low-pass filter having been applied somewhere in the process -- thus, typically the result of an upconverted mp3 (particularly when the cutoff is around 15-16Khz).
What other things/patterns/traits can I look for? And not necessarily just to determine if something's been upconverted, either -- any kind of visual representation of quality, artifacts, etc.