• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How do you remove swiftech adapters?

shytfaced

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
326
I put some of the quick fit ones on my MCW6000, luckily I got one off with pliers, and the other I had to take a jigsaw blade to by hand n cut it into about 6 different pieces, but not before it threaded the fvck outta my barb. I bought an MCW50 with 1/2" adapters attached, I plan on using 3/8" tubing, and again I could only get one out, and the other is stuck. Is there some secret method I don't know about or was Swiftech just retarded when they made these things?
 
uhh... mine came off real easy, dunno :confused:


and dont curse in titles :p
 
youur supposed to have a tool for that.

Go to www.usplastics.com, do a search for john guest, and buy their fitting tool. I think it's like $3. (EDIT: seems I cant find that item anymore....maybe it's elsewhere, maybe McMaster would have it...it's made by john guest, the maker of those fittings swiftech uses...those are industry standard connectors for plastic tubing)

I know if you bought a swiftech kit, you got one of these tools. if your too cheap to buy the tool, just do like I did, get a butter knife, and hold down the collar on the fitting on one side, wiggle the tube out a bit, then repeat except pushing down teh opposite side of teh fitting.
 
I can bench 330 pounds, and it took all my strength to get that damn tubing out with the tubing insert in it on the MCW50 block.
 
OK here's the dfinitive how-to on using john guest speedfit fittings

1) soft tubing needs an insert

2) put insert in tubing

3) push tubing into fitting until fully inserted (a twisting motion, and dish soap makes this easier)

to remove:

1) push retaining collar IN from two opposing sides, and hold them down.

2) twist the tubing, and pull outward once the tube starts to budge

3) removes insert from tubing.



Basically your ability to press that collar down flush is what's making it hard. Also note that tygon does not play well with speedfit...it's too soft...cheap home depot tubing is best for this, since speedfit was not designed for soft tubing, but hard tubing instead...so the tubing needs a certain wall strength to work properly.
 
Back
Top