How do you remove "older" stuff in msconfig?

Just more of a general question... I see some things in msconfig on the startup that I have unchecked... but how do I physiclly remove them so that they are not there anymore?

I feel that it is getting time for a completely clean install of windows... arg! I have about 50 processes that are running right now... my computer isn't slow, but it isn't running how it used to... I just hate trying to get all my old software/drivers back....

Anyone know of a good program that backs up ALL your drivers so that when you format the hd and install windows again you can just pop in all the drivers for the hardware, instead of loading all the discs, or going out on the internet to try and find updated drivers...

Thanks,
-Nigel

I recoomend that you use this time to create a ghost image of the load the first day after you've downloaded and installed everything you want and gotten it configured. Its a beautiful thing to say. .hey I wanna to reload and just drop the image on and be done in 30 mins rather then 3+ hours.. downloading, installing, updateing..

Do it once and you can always come back to this starting point, and you can make images at any time from there on based on whatever changes you've made.

as for removing old programs that show up in msconfig that arent on your system..just run a reg cleaner like ccleaner, since thats where msconfig is getting its info

hulksterjoe said:
I recoomend that you use this time to create a ghost image of the load the first day after you've downloaded and installed everything you want and gotten it configured. Its a beautiful thing to say. .hey I wanna to reload and just drop the image on and be done in 30 mins rather then 3+ hours.. downloading, installing, updateing..

This is a very good suggestion. I have a friend who has redone his system 6 times in the last month, because he like to play and tweak settings on his system. I told him he needs to make a base image with the programs that he uses all the time and ghost it to a dvd. It will save you so much time its not even funny.

Ghost is definitely the way to go. I have a clean ghost image on a bootable DVD with the ghost.exe file on it as well. It takes me 5 minutes to restore my PC.

As for removing items from your list in msconfig, you should be able to right click on them, and choose delete. If this isn't available, download StartupCPL 2.8 and use that. I like it better than the msconfig utility. I know that allows you to delete entries.

djnes said:
As for removing items from your list in msconfig, you should be able to right click on them, and choose delete. If this isn't available, download StartupCPL 2.8 and use that. I like it better than the msconfig utility. I know that allows you to delete entries.

Also could manually remove them. Im assuming XP, not sure of older OS's, but..in regedit ..HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder or startupreg...should be listed in there, corect me if im wrong....its been awhile :)

For manually removing entries in MSConfig, if they're in the registry, it lists the location of the key. Just go to that location, and delete the key, and it'll be gone from msconfig as well.

I do have norton Ghost... got it free from retail access, but I have never used it before...

If I install it will it walk me through on what you guys are talking about? I really like that idea plus it would save LOTS of time!
It just sounds difficult to set it up through ghost...does it automaticly make a bootable dvd or do I have to configure it?

-Nigel

NewShockerGuy said:
I do have norton Ghost... got it free from retail access, but I have never used it before...

If I install it will it walk me through on what you guys are talking about? I really like that idea plus it would save LOTS of time!
It just sounds difficult to set it up through ghost...does it automaticly make a bootable dvd or do I have to configure it?

-Nigel
It should, but I'm not as familiar with the retail version, as I use the corporate version. I make the DVD myself. Once I ghost the image, I use Nero's bootable disc image, and then I slap the ghost.exe file and the ghost image file on the DVD, and I'm all set.

Back