How do you read points in VMWare

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello guys and gals, I know this has been answered about a zillion times (I googled it, I searched this forum and other forums, I even sacrificed a chicken to the computer Gods and still have this problem :mad:) It's information that has been demoted to the dusty archives in the basement (not even important enough to be micro filmed) :D

I finally entered the first half of the 21st century (the second half is the GPU2 client, I'm already there) and I've got a minor question. My question is "how do you point a FAHmon 2.3.2b pernt monitoring program at the VMWare directory so you can access it?"(read it)

I've tried everything I know to do, "sudo apt-get install samba", " sudo apt-get install smbfs, did a minimum smb.conf, made sure the host name isn't the same, the domain name is the same, made sure the FAH file was shared, etc That crap was for Linux, they tell me Windows will automatically pick up any Linux shared file. It's probably some simple answer and I've tried so many things to get it to read that I've become confused (not hard to do sometimes) and forgot something basic, you know "so close to the boxen, I can't see the chips" (err.. trees and forests or something like that) :rolleyes:

So after you stop laughing at my less than astute question. Please post a problem solved answer. Remember, your not dealing with "brain surgeon" type intelligence here. :D

Thank "a moondoe" in advance. (is that how you spell "a moondoe" meaning "a lot" ?)

FOLD ON!

I've tried everything I know to do, "sudo apt-get install samba", " sudo apt-get install smbfs, did a minimum smb.conf, made sure the host name isn't the same, the domain name is the same, made sure the FAH file was shared, etc That crap was for Linux, they tell me Windows will automatically pick up any Linux shared file. [/SIZE]

You have to use samba to make your VMWare visible to your Windows install. Then make sure your network connection in VMWare is set to bridged mode.

I got the info of how to setup a samba share from Linux Tips and Tricks
I used the second half of that guide to setup my VM's samba shares.

The step I found hard to get to work was getting the "nmblookup HOSTNAME" instruction to work.
Once that worked then the samba share worked.

Luck ............ :D

Thank "a moondoe" in advance. (is that how you spell "a moondoe" meaning "a lot" ?)

To the question that didn't get an answer I think your word would indicate a late night female deer. Ya, there are wildlife sluts in the world.

I believe the word you were looking for is Mondo, not to be confused with Mongo of Mel Brooks fame.;)

I got the info of how to setup a samba share from Linux Tips and Tricks
I used the second half of that guide to setup my VM's samba shares.

The step I found hard to get to work was getting the "nmblookup HOSTNAME" instruction to work.
Once that worked then the samba share worked.

Luck ............ :D

Ooooh those scripts look useful. I'll have to use that later.

Funny this thread comes up because I'm in the exact same situation. Actually, I'm in the process of trying out several different distros to see if there is one with headache-less networking. Apparently, Linux and Windows XP aren't the best mix network-wise, as evidenced by countless results in google concerning users' similar issues. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with an easy solution (as of yet) to this sharing conundrum, largely because their isn't one, a major drawback to using Linux according to many. Having said that, are there any recommendations for a Linux distro with relatively easy network sharing that doesn't require countless unintelligible scripts and steps in a terminal window? :rolleyes:

jws2346,

Are you still having difficulty accessing your Linux network shares to get your pernts monitored? If so, I tried a distro that has samba pre-configured and for the first time I was able to get my Win XP machine and FahSpy/FahMon to access the Linux F@H folder. After dabbling with half a dozen distros (and more to come), the only one that worked without any configuration at all, was SimplyMEPIS. I'm going to probably stick with this one until I find something better, but what can be better than no configuration required to get the clients remotely monitored, lol. ;)

Interesting. Is running a 32-bit linux distro affecting your ppd any? If not I may go ahead and switch my VM's over to Slackware.

Interesting. Is running a 32-bit linux distro affecting your ppd any? If not I may go ahead and switch my VM's over to Slackware.

I too am curious about the affects on PpD. If there aren't any, then I'll be all over this one. I may give it a try today and report back after the weekend. I'm running on my laptop so getting performance numbers takes a while. I would love to use this on my sig rig, but won't have the time to muck with it this weekend.

edit: there ARE 64bit distros. downloading one now

jws2346,

Are you still having difficulty accessing your Linux network shares to get your pernts monitored? If so, I tried a distro that has samba pre-configured and for the first time I was able to get my Win XP machine and FahSpy/FahMon to access the Linux F@H folder. After dabbling with half a dozen distros (and more to come), the only one that worked without any configuration at all, was SimplyMEPIS. I'm going to probably stick with this one until I find something better, but what can be better than no configuration required to get the clients remotely monitored, lol. ;)

Yeah, this is getting "way too complicated" APOLLO. I'm tired of f*cking with it and I'm about to just say f*ck it ! :mad: I've used the "Samba" program many times before (both as a host and a guest) and this VM thing is getting too time consuming and too complicated.

Please post any pernt discrepancies 32 bit vs 64 bit. I have used Simply MEPHIS in most of it's configurations. The latest confuration is pretty close to Ubuntu, but still only 32 bits :(

If the pernts deal ain't too bad, until I get another GPU (hopefully ATI, but probably another 8800 GS nVIDIA card :(), I'll play "musical" OS's and install the latest configuration of Simply MEPHIS in VMWare.

I've got Linux flavors out of the "ying yang" in my "Linux" drawer. Some of the CD's and DVD's have actually been bought at a store (good for slow Internet connections), some CD's and DVD's I have DL'ed the .iso and burned it to CD or DVD myself and some are still wet from the factory from whoever does the Mark Shuttleworth CD mailing.

FOLD ON!

Yeah, this is getting "way too complicated" APOLLO. I'm tired of f*cking with it and I'm about to just say f*ck it ! :mad: I've used the "Samba" program many times before (both as a host and a guest) and this VM thing is getting too time consuming and too complicated.
That's why I suggest you try MEPIS again because Samba is pre-configured for you - no need to do anything!

Please post any pernt discrepancies 32 bit vs 64 bit. I have used Simply MEPHIS in most of it's configurations. The latest confuration is pretty close to Ubuntu, but still only 32 bits :(
Actually no, all the distros I tried recently I absolutely made certain were 64-bit, including MEPIS. Since version 6.5, MEPIS has been available in 64-bit, I installed version 7.0.

If the pernts deal ain't too bad, until I get another GPU (hopefully ATI, but probably another 8800 GS nVIDIA card :(), I'll play "musical" OS's and install the latest configuration of Simply MEPHIS in VMWare.
If you want your pernts monitored remotely without typing endless scripts and praying everything works, I strongly suggest you try the latest version. ;)

I've got Linux flavors out of the "ying yang" in my "Linux" drawer. Some of the CD's and DVD's have actually been bought at a store (good for slow Internet connections), some CD's and DVD's I have DL'ed the .iso and burned it to CD or DVD myself and some are still wet from the factory from whoever does the Mark Shuttleworth CD mailing.
I respect your dedication to the open source community and I'm getting into it more and more as well. With VMWare, it's painless to install and reinstall almost any distro to determine the best one for your needs and personal ease of use. Recently, I have tried CentOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Fluxbuntu (gorgeous), OpenSUSE, Linspire, and SimplyMEPIS. Only MEPIS had network sharing already configured out-of-the-box, so to speak. There's even a 'shares' folder already there for your use! I just installed F@H in that folder, and it was seen by my Win XP machine and FahSpy. I don't think you can ask for anything simpler (no pun).

I will try a few other distros like Xandros, which has high repute and would love to try Linux Mint, but the latter is strictly 32-bit presently and the former is available as a 30-day trial only. :(

Mint is a pretty good distro from my Irish brothers... It's based on Ubuntu, and seemed very clean when I tried it out. It looks like they are working on a 64-bit version, but do not have an ETA yet.

I just run notfreds in VMWare. Seems to be the easiest solution imo.
I tried notfreds as my very first attempt at Linux, but wouldn't install in VMWare on my system. It's because I didn't have a USB stick. Someone posted a workaround to my issue a while back, but I never got around to it. Are you able to monitor your clients remotely in notfreds without a tiresome configuration?

I just threw the path in FahSpy and its working without issue. FahMon was showing it as hung but was still updating it as it progressed through the WU.

That's why I suggest you try MEPIS again because Samba is pre-configured for you - no need to do anything!

Actually no, all the distros I tried recently I absolutely made certain were 64-bit, including MEPIS. Since version 6.5, MEPIS has been available in 64-bit, I installed version 7.0.

If you want your pernts monitored remotely without typing endless scripts and praying everything works, I strongly suggest you try the latest version. ;)

I respect your dedication to the open source community and I'm getting into it more and more as well. With VMWare, it's painless to install and reinstall almost any distro to determine the best one for your needs and personal ease of use. Recently, I have tried CentOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Fluxbuntu (gorgeous), OpenSUSE, Linspire, and SimplyMEPIS. Only MEPIS had network sharing already configured out-of-the-box, so to speak. There's even a 'shares' folder already there for your use! I just installed F@H in that folder, and it was seen by my Win XP machine and FahSpy. I don't think you can ask for anything simpler (no pun).

I will try a few other distros like Xandros, which has high repute and would love to try Linux Mint, but the latter is strictly 32-bit presently and the former is available as a 30-day trial only. :(

@APOLLO :D "Mucheoss grassiass" (or something like that) and thanks a bunch, I forgot all about the 64 bit flavor of Simply MEPHIS. (I even have it on CD already) Although I have experimented with many Linux distros ie. Shuttleworth's Ubuntu since v6.06, Fedora 7&8, Freespire, Puppy Linux including the "Dingo" flavor, PCLinux 2007 and before, Free BSD, Slackware, openSUSE, Xandros, CentOS v5.2, Damn Small Linux, Mandriva 2008 and when it was Mandrake, Ark and a few others I can't remember. I always keep comin' back to a debian flavor (I guess I just got attached to "apt-get") ;)

You wrote "if you want your pernts monitored remotely without typing endless scripts and praying everything works, I strongly suggest you try the latest version.", thats all fine and dandy if you're using the LinSMP client in Linux, but as far as I know Linux doesn't have a GPU2 client for either ATI or nVIDIA cards? :rolleyes:

As I mentioned in my first post I'm going to try and get another VGA card (either ATI or another 8800 GS like I already have). If and when I do get another GPU and the bottom doesn't drop out of the GPU2 client (like it did for the GPU1 client) or some smart programmer doesn't write a GPU2 client for Linux I'll just fold in WinXP and when I'm forced to, I'll upgrade to VISTA.

I'm still playin' with my experimental boxen. It's a "hand me down" E6600 on a TForce 965 board that I'm currently runnin' the 32 bit Puppy "Dingo" flavor OS on and it's booting from a 1 GB USB stick. I tried the "plain Jane" Puppy v4.0, but the "Dingo" flavor has more JVM desktop "candy" and themes :p

As you can tell I don't mind "futzing" around in Linux, I just don't understand when you seem to do everything right , it's still f*cked up. (like the Samba in virtual memory :mad:) I guess Linux is still not ready as a "prime time" desktop OS for us not overly geeky persons :()

FOLD ON!

@APOLLO :D "Mucheoss grassiass" (or something like that) and thanks a bunch, I forgot all about the 64 bit flavor of Simply MEPHIS. (I even have it on CD already) Although I have experimented with many Linux distros ie. Shuttleworth's Ubuntu since v6.06, Fedora 7&8, Freespire, Puppy Linux including the "Dingo" flavor, PCLinux 2007 and before, Free BSD, Slackware, openSUSE, Xandros, CentOS v5.2, Damn Small Linux, Mandriva 2008 and when it was Mandrake, Ark and a few others I can't remember. I always keep comin' back to a debian flavor (I guess I just got attached to "apt-get") ;)
I really liked Fluxbuntu, it is extremely light (<400MB), very fast and there's something strangely appealing about a spartan OS, but it's not for the faint of heart due to its near complete lack of accoutrements and heavy command line usage requirement. I love the Fluxbox environment, though. BTW, what do you think of Xandros? Worth installing?

You wrote "if you want your pernts monitored remotely without typing endless scripts and praying everything works, I strongly suggest you try the latest version.", thats all fine and dandy if you're using the LinSMP client in Linux, but as far as I know Linux doesn't have a GPU2 client for either ATI or nVIDIA cards? :rolleyes:
You might want to take a look at this thread then, apparently someone got the GPU2 client working in Linux... ;)

As I mentioned in my first post I'm going to try and get another VGA card (either ATI or another 8800 GS like I already have). If and when I do get another GPU and the bottom doesn't drop out of the GPU2 client (like it did for the GPU1 client) or some smart programmer doesn't write a GPU2 client for Linux I'll just fold in WinXP and when I'm forced to, I'll upgrade to VISTA.
Vista seems less issue-prone to the GPU2 client and a bit faster. Seeing how it's all new and shiny, I expect at least couple of years' life expectancy for the GPU2 client barring Stanford's fickle nature... ;)

As you can tell I don't mind "futzing" around in Linux, I just don't understand when you seem to do everything right , it's still f*cked up. (like the Samba in virtual memory :mad:) I guess Linux is still not ready as a "prime time" desktop OS for us not overly geeky persons :()
No not yet, but it's getting there in leaps and bounds. More and more people are fed up with MS bloatware that does not offer in return what it takes away.

Hey brother APOLLO, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that post over on overclockers.net mostly about using the Windose GPU2 client under wine for Linux? I was talking about a "native Linux" GPU2 client. :confused:

I was reading how the Windows .dll file has trouble communicating with the Linux .so file (one thing you gotta' say is that Shelnutt2 is one smart person, if it's at all possible he'll figure a way ;)).

As far as Xandros goes. it's hard to remember with all the other distros kinda' runin' together. I think I remember it's as close to bein' MS Windows without bein' MS Windows (pre bloated, a disgrace for a Linux distro), I don't even remember if it had "easy breezy" Net hookup because I can't remember if I had DSL or Dial up at the time. All I know is I didn't keep it long enough to make any remarkable memory and I had to blow the dust off of the CD case Xandros was in :rolleyes:

Hell, try it out for yourself. Freedom of choice is one of the main things about Linux, other than it's free and doesn't become proprietory to one machine (in other words no activation, you can put the same HD in 20 different machines) plus you can download it free many places, I like Linux Distrowatch myself.

I think a lot of people thought the new and shiny GPU1 client was gonna' be around for a while also. (what do they always say, "caveat emptor" or something like that, only it should'd been "folder beware of Stanford University's free stuff" (I have no ideer how to say that in jibberish, err.., I mean Latin). There were lots of X1900 series cards that went down tha' "tuber rooters" for folding and they weren't free :()

FOLD ON!

Back