How do YOU pick your BEST C2D chips?

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
Dumb luck?
Buy multiple, keep the best?
Hunt for specific week at Frys?
Special hook up somewhere online?

I'm putting together a C2D system at the end of this month. Its my "finals are over, time to game" reward for myself as well as an upgrade for my graphic design business.

I remember when the Opteron165 was a huge hit last year, and everyone was scrambling to find the CCBBE (or whatever) core. Tankguys had that specific run, but they no longer do that. So, where and how do you pick your C2D chips?

CHeck the Intel C2D OC thread. It's stickied, at the top of this forum. Mine was dumb luck, on a trade.

Buy a chip...overclock it....if I am happy, it stays. If not, sell it (NO RMA BULLSHIT) and buy another. Easy.

Plain dumb luck in my own case (for once, after some shitty overclockers since my last Celly 300A to 464 luck).

buy a retail chip and hope for best.

The retail chips I've bought have all been AWESOME (50%+ OC'r)

The OEM chips I've bought, mostly have sucked! :(

buy a retail chip and hope for best.

The retail chips I've bought have all been AWESOME (50%+ OC'r)

The OEM chips I've bought, mostly have sucked! :(

In my case it's the reverse - out of 2 chips I bought, one oem, one retail, retailed didn't oc as much as the oem one...

My Opteron 165 OEM don't run over 2,2Ghz when people get easy 2.4 to 2.7 so needless to say I will try a retail CPU next. Probably an E6420. Already have the motherboard and ram.

In my case it's the reverse - out of 2 chips I bought, one oem, one retail, retailed didn't oc as much as the oem one...

I've got a little more "experience" than 1 & 1.

Breakdown of my experience with my 5 retail, 2 OEMs

Retail: - ALL hit 50% OC's
Pentium 3 600e hit 900Mhz (hit 50% easily.... limited from more than 50% by mobo)
Pentium 3 700e hit 1050Mhz (50% hit.... more limited by same mobo)
Pentium 4 1.6a hit 2.4Ghz (50% hit.... limited by crappy sis645 mobo)
Pentium 4 2.4C hit 3.6Ghz (50% hit.... limited by 875 chipset 300FSB wall)
Pentium D 920 hit 4Ghz (technically only 43% overclock, but probably would have hit 50% if I gave it more juice & didn't mind the temps)

OEM:
Pentium 4 - 2.53b only hit 2.95Ghz (only 16% OC)
Core 2 Duo - e6600 really only likes 3Ghz, but I've pushed it up to 3.2Ghz. (only 25-33% OC)

I've got a little more "experience" than 1 & 1.

Breakdown of my experience with my 5 retail, 2 OEMs

Retail: - ALL hit 50% OC's
Pentium 3 600e hit 900Mhz (hit 50% easily.... limited from more than 50% by mobo)
Pentium 3 700e hit 1050Mhz (50% hit.... more limited by same mobo)
Pentium 4 1.6a hit 2.4Ghz (50% hit.... limited by crappy sis645 mobo)
Pentium 4 2.4C hit 3.6Ghz (50% hit.... limited by 875 chipset 300FSB wall)
Pentium D 920 hit 4Ghz (technically only 43% overclock, but probably would have hit 50% if I gave it more juice & didn't mind the temps)

OEM:
Pentium 4 - 2.53b only hit 2.95Ghz (only 16% OC)
Core 2 Duo - e6600 really only likes 3Ghz, but I've pushed it up to 3.2Ghz. (only 25-33% OC)

It's all nice and good but what does this have to do with C2D? You've got only one C2D, and I was talking about 2 C2Ds I've tried out, because I didn't think it was pertinent to delve into other Intel cpus I oc'ed in the past. After all, that's what OP's question is all about. In fact, I got another C2D e6600 and will try it out this weekend, so in terms of C2Ds I appear to have more 'experience' than you ;) :D

I don't pick, I get whatever Newegg sends me. All the E6300s I've gotten so far have hit 3GHz with ease.

Stepping, stepping, stepping....... even if it cost me a lil more, I try my best to get a stepping thats been successful......

It is really a lot of luck. Personally, I'm on my 3rd e6400, and will soon move to e6420.

It can be said that different weeks have shown a better or worse average overclock, and make it more or less desirable, and easier / quicker to find that cpu you want, but that would require some sort of connection / ability to hand pick to try.

At this point in time, looking in the for sale sections may not be a bad idea on a used cpu, seeing how a lot of the older ones are showing to be better than newer ones on average

[ T ] A C O;1030869773 said:
On water? I have a new HS coming this week and would like to push it to 2.5+

Mines at 2.8 w/ scythe infinity. Ran at 2.8 on stock hsf but was hot for my liking.

This is a very good question. I guess go to fry's or microcenter and see if they will let you choose from there section. Anyone know what the good stepping / batches are (besides going to the data base :))

Yup. I'm suprised no one has said anything about flickerdown

https://secure.flickerdown.com/index.php?crn=246

Allows you to know and sometimes choose your stepping.

Hehe, that is the guy we finally had to ban from here for selling processors, that kept telling us he was not a "dealer" in any way shape or form. Just happened to get some deals on CPUs every once in a while. ;)

I suppose he was banned for self-promotion?????:eek:

Anyway....... I just take what I get from retail.
e6300.....3.0 Ghz
e6600.... 3.1Ghz
e6700.... 3.4 Ghz

all on air. I really think I could get more, especially from the 6600 and the 6700. The 6600 seems to be the most stubborn of the three. It may be the MB,too.

I just swapped in some grade B memory and my max E6400 overclock has dropped from 3600 to 3700 MHz down to the very low 3400 MHz range.

I think too many users have other things holding them back like crappy memory when they jump to the conclusion that they must have got a "bad" processor from a bad week.

The people near the upper regions of the [H] OC database were not all blessed with luck. They've put in a pile of work and have combined their C2D with other components that allows their C2D to reach its full potential.

If I was just starting out I would concentrate on motherboard overclocking potential, memory potential and heatsink and fan cooling potential. Next I would look for a power supply that can deliver the goods and has a very low voltage fluctuation when fully loaded as measured with a digital multimeter and not a software program reading an inaccurate on board sensor.

Finally I would grab a processor. There are plenty of people that are getting big overclocks out of even the Allendale cores because they've done their homework in choosing all of the other parts that contribute to a stable, highly overclocked system.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=1&skrivelse=500

Nice post webb. That's the approach I'm taking. Long time AMD listener, first time Intel OC'er. :D
I'm just hoping that this old dog can learn new tricks.

Well, I dunno if the cpu is the last thing to consider. I tried 3 e6600s, 1 w42 and 2 w30. W42 one ran cool but it consumed a helluva vcore, while w30 ones were fairly hot but didn't take much vcore to overclock. IMHO, earlier chips had much more potential to oc on my setup than the w42 one.

I just swapped in some grade B memory and my max E6400 overclock has dropped from 3600 to 3700 MHz down to the very low 3400 MHz range.

I think too many users have other things holding them back like crappy memory when they jump to the conclusion that they must have got a "bad" processor from a bad week.

The people near the upper regions of the [H] OC database were not all blessed with luck. They've put in a pile of work and have combined their C2D with other components that allows their C2D to reach its full potential.

If I was just starting out I would concentrate on motherboard overclocking potential, memory potential and heatsink and fan cooling potential. Next I would look for a power supply that can deliver the goods and has a very low voltage fluctuation when fully loaded as measured with a digital multimeter and not a software program reading an inaccurate on board sensor.

Finally I would grab a processor. There are plenty of people that are getting big overclocks out of even the Allendale cores because they've done their homework in choosing all of the other parts that contribute to a stable, highly overclocked system.

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=1&skrivelse=500

I totally agree......

Back