How do you partition your hard drive?

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Just curious how you have divided up your hard drive with partitions. I have a single 250GB drive, with just one partition. I had left up 10GB to install the Gigagyte Express Recovery, but decided that was probably a bad idea.

So now I just have one hard drive, with one partition.

Just curious to see what you folks do

I only have one partition in my harddrive.

Personally I would recommend backing up a harddrive on optical disk or another harddrive to ensure data is kept safe.

I use a 20 to 40GB partition for windows (depending on which OS) and use the rest for data.
Having a small windows partition makes defragging, scandisking, virus scanning etc much much quicker.

I install all Apps to drive C: but games, movies etc are put on other partitions to keep the Windows partition from excessive fragmentation and leave enough free space to reduce the chance of fragments occuring.
Games tend to write their savegames to the windows partition though so this will add to the fragmentation still.

40GB partition for OS + programs. 2nd partition for data and storage. Separate partitions means I can wipe/reinstall OS on the 1st partition without losing any data.

I don't partition, I use multiple drives...
I have a 74 Gb 16 Mb cache Raptor for my OS, another one for my games, and 2 500 Gb storage drives.
I find it easier this way

I put an 8GB partition on the drive, format it with FAT32 and use it for a fixed-size pagefile exclusively (this eliminates defrag problems). The rest of the disk is a single partition NTFS.

For Linux, I do the same but use "swap" for the small partition and ext3 for the rest.

With WinXP, I have two 320gb HDs. I partition the first drive with 40GB for XP, 50GB for programs, and 208GB for data. On the second HD, I make one partition of 90GB to store Acronis disk images, and a 208GB partition to mirror the one on the first HD.

With this setup, if either HD fails, I am back up and running with a mere HD replacement and data restore.

On my laptop with Vistax64, I use one large partition for the OS and programs, and another partition for data since with Vistax64 you have to install apps on the OS partition.

How do you partition your hard drive?

well, I myself just grab an axe and start beating the heck outta that sucker... but... hmm... u might want to use your HD after that :p so i´d recommend to u to use some disk management software like Acronis Disk Director Suite alternatively u also could use the built in software that comes with windows, but that sucks IMO, if u have a linux livecd u could also use the partition software that comes along with it

i usually like two partition one for the os and one for the programs, that way I can make back up of a small
os partition which is the most importantly part in a system recovery situation (which s gets back up more frequently), and the data side only fewer,

sam

I used to have an elaborate setup that segregated OS, page file and data, but after the OS partition became too small and I had problems applying updates, I went off the whole idea and now I use a single partition. I never reinstall Windows voluntarily, so the idea of keeping the OS separate so I can easily format it isn't much use to me.

However, I don't consider this to be good advice, it's just what I do.

On my laptop with Vistax64, I use one large partition for the OS and programs, and another partition for data since with Vistax64 you have to install apps on the OS partition.

Why? By default, 64-bit programs will be installed to \Program Files\ and 32-bit programs to \Program Files (x86)\ on the system drive, but no-one's forcing you to put them there, any more than you're forced to install to the Program Files folder on a 32-bit system. I prefer to install to \Applications\.

I generally create a ~40GB partition for my OS / programs, and the rest of the drive for data. That way I can wipe the OS and reinstall without losing data, and I only backup my data.

Been doing it that way for years, don't really see any reason to change up my methods...

the most important thing is having one partition only for temp and cache files and swap file.

the most important thing is having one partition only for temp and cache files and a swap file.

Back