• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How Do You Make The 4870 Faster?

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
1,141
I just got my 4870 today after selling my 8800gtx for 200.00. I gotta say, and I know i'm gonna here it, but my gtx seems a little bit faster than this one. It might be that I don't know what setting I should have with the new Catalst drivers because I am totally new to ATI after having been a Nvidia fan for over 4 years starting off with the 4600. I am unfamiliar with the ATI Catalst Control Center. What are the best settings? I want my COD4 to run as smooth as butter. There is a little to much choppiness for my taste. I game at 1280x1024. I also need an OC utility I think, although I would like my card to run at stock. Any help to blow my 8800gtx out of the water would be appreciated, Thanks
 
Could be driver issues from the switch but unless you started cranking every setting you could find I have no idea why it would be choppy at that resolution. All you really need to worry about is getting the core clock up because you aren't going to be short of bandwidth at that resolution.
 
At that resolution, the 4870 isn't going to blow the 8800GTX out of the water, at least not with CoD4 unless you crank it all the way up and then I don't know if it would really matter a lot. CoD4 just isn't that taxing of a game especially at that resolution. Did you try something else?
 
Something seems wrong here. I have the GTX 260 and at 1680x1050, max settings and AA/AF, on some maps i have gotten 200+ fps at some points but usually hang around 90(grass maps) and 130(desert maps). If the 260 can be slower than the 4870 I don't see how there could be any lag issues with correct drivers. Unless you were running a single core or something :confused:
 
Guys, guys, I know the 8800GTX was an amazing card, I owned one, too.
But the 4870 buries it. Heck, even the 4850 does.

The days of "Well it doesn't really seem better than my GTX" are over now.
The 4870 is like two 8800GTX's in SLI.
:p

And you're only running 1280x1024 anyway...
Unless you're rocking some serious AA, you won't see any difference. Especially not in COD4. The GTX should have run that game "smooth as butter" regardless of what settings you used.
 
I just got my 4870 today after selling my 8800gtx for 200.00. I gotta say, and I know i'm gonna here it, but my gtx seems a little bit faster than this one. It might be that I don't know what setting I should have with the new Catalst drivers because I am totally new to ATI after having been a Nvidia fan for over 4 years starting off with the 4600. I am unfamiliar with the ATI Catalst Control Center. What are the best settings? I want my COD4 to run as smooth as butter. There is a little to much choppiness for my taste. I game at 1280x1024. I also need an OC utility I think, although I would like my card to run at stock. Any help to blow my 8800gtx out of the water would be appreciated, Thanks

Did you completely wipe out the old driver? The 4870 does blow the 8800GTX out of the water, and expecially at 1280x1024 you should have absolutely no choppiness at all.
 
Did you run Driver Cleaner to help wipe anything Nvidia from your system? It does make a difference.
 
Sorry but you need a full OS reinstall when going to an ATI card. It just doesnt work right until you do it. I tried to remove and run driver cleaner but my benchies and scores weren't right. Reinstalled XP and Vista last week and everything is screaming fast now with the 4870. Stuttering was an issue too - all resolved now though :D

You need to wipe the OS there is no way around it :cool:
 
I went from an 8800GTX to a 3850 and now to a 4850 with no OS reinstall.
Uninstall drivers; reboot; Driver Cleaner Pro; reboot; Install ATI drivers.

I should probably run 3dmark06 to make sure I'm getting the appropriate performance for my card, but I've not had any stability issues or noticed any performance issues in my gaming so far.
 
Dnottis, I suspect you had some other issue.

I have been using a 1 year old backup of XP for 6 months now with an 8800GT after it was running an X1800.
No gfx card problems at all, runs like a dream.
I uninstalled everything ATI then used driver cleaner.
After rebooting I used driver cleaner again and rebooted before putting the NVidia driver in.
 
Well alot of people have been experiencing the same issue. A full format always fixes the issue for them as well. I prefer to reinstall when I change any piece of hardware so it's not a big deal but I jumped about 2000 points in 3dmark and a few other benchmarks would not even run - once formatted Ive no issues.
 
Sorry but you need a full OS reinstall when going to an ATI card. It just doesnt work right until you do it. I tried to remove and run driver cleaner but my benchies and scores weren't right. Reinstalled XP and Vista last week and everything is screaming fast now with the 4870. Stuttering was an issue too - all resolved now though :D

You need to wipe the OS there is no way around it :cool:

That seems a little bit extreme. That would be too much to do to have to change from Nvidia to ATI. I'll keep trying to get aquainted with my new card. It is a beautiful sexy card. I will post back with any fixes. I just ran 3dmark06 and got a score of 12705 as compared to my gtx score of 11035. This is with DriverCleaner in safe mode. Does this score seem okay.
 
Back
Top