How do you know your 2405 has backlight issues ?

Mixman

Gawd
OK, I got my 2405 a couple of weeks ago. I have read about the backlight issues and I just want to make sure mine is ok before the 21 days are over. How bad does it get before you know there is a problem ? When my monitor is in standby I see some brightness in the black and it is not fully black. I came from years with CRT's and this is my first real experience with LCD's. At what point should I consider returning the monitor ? As of now I see no dead pixels, so thankfully that is not an issue.

Also, what is Dell's replacement policy ? Do they send you an advance replacement so I won't have to do without a monitor ? Or do I have to ship it back to them first and wait ?

Holy freaking crap.. This forum has turned everyone into a raving lunatic, seriously :)

If you can't see a problem with your own two human eyes then it's not there. Don't go looking for it and taking extended exposures with high end photographic equipment just to convince yourself that something is "broken" with your monitor.. And forget looking at it in standby mode.. is that even remotely close to "normal" use?

The real question: if you never knew about hardforum or any other forum where a bunch of overly obsessed maniacal consumeristas hang out and infect each other with paranoia, would you be happy with your monitor?

I am guessing the answer is "yes" ! So be happy :)

__Maad__ said:
Holy freaking crap.. This forum has turned everyone into a raving lunatic, seriously :)

If you can't see a problem with your own two human eyes then it's not there. Don't go looking for it and taking extended exposures with high end photographic equipment just to convince yourself that something is "broken" with your monitor.. And forget looking at it in standby mode.. is that even remotely close to "normal" use?

The real question: if you never knew about hardforum or any other forum where a bunch of overly obsessed maniacal consumeristas hang out and infect each other with paranoia, would you be happy with your monitor?

I am guessing the answer is "yes" ! So be happy :)

No, no no, I am not one of those into looking for every little defect. As a matter of fact it took me this long after about two weeks to really inspect this monitor. It was mainly after trying to set it up really well and lowering the brightness that I noticed, especially to the lower right that I can't get rid of the brightness in the one spot. Is this something I could live with if I really had to...probably. But if I can get a monitor that functions bettter I will.

Despite this, I still think it's a good monitor.

ya if you don't see a problem, for god sake dont go looking for one. Ignorance truely is bliss.

Daniel53 said:
ya if you don't see a problem, for god sake dont go looking for one. Ignorance truely is bliss.

Well, I do see what may be a problem. Like I said, I see some brightness, when dark that I can't get rid of. I don't know if this is normal or not, how much is a flaw or just standard for a bright LCD.

If its a blotch of light you can't get rid of, that would be leaking... and you should probably exchange it.

If however, the entire screen is glowing with without any uneven splotchiness, then its fine. Blacks on LCD's aren't that great, so you're never going to get true blacks. As long as the black level across the entire screen is the same, then you're fine.

You won't notice it unless you've got a lot of blacks being displayed, like a movie or a dark game. Movies will usually have pure black bars on the top and bottom, which also tends to be where backlight leaks occur. If you watch a lot of movies and have it, it is EXTREMELY annoying. I would know, I had a 2005 with leakage and just one spot was enough to distract me.

I can see a bright spot about 4 inches in diameter in my lower right hand corner. I can see it whenever I view any black material......such as this forum ! :eek:

I have leaking on my 2005, but the only time I can ever see it is if I'm watching a movie, and it doesn't distract me.

If it distracts you, by all means, return it, but don't return it just for the sake of having to have a perfect display.

Back