How do you know when ur heatsink needs lapping?

When its extensively scratched up and/or is pretty rough-surfaced.

during the winter my heatsinks get all fat so a good lap around the block usually helps them get back in shape... pesky holiday foods :p

Lsv said:
during the winter my heatsinks get all fat so a good lap around the block usually helps them get back in shape... pesky holiday foods :p

haha

...your heatsink needs lapping when YOU think it does. just because temps are bad, doesnt necessarily mean that it needs lapping. just because the temps are good doesnt completely warrant neglect, although there is something to be said for it. its all a judgement call for whether lapping will help YOUR system.

what he said... Arctic Silver 5 should be able to get into any tiny nook or cranny that you want to act as if it was solid... that tiny air pocket now becomes filled with silver mix, which should boost conductivity. Just make sure you dont apply so much that it floats on it, as metal to metal contact still wins, but better metal + AS5 + metal when you dont have a microscope to check for surface abbraisions (sp). Heard Ceramique mix is good too, but I've never been tempted to use anything but AS 5.

Iria said:
Heard Ceramique mix is good too, but I've never been tempted to use anything but AS 5.

Ceramique actually kinda makes me nervous. It doesn't make much sense for Arctic Silver to come out with two products for the exact same purpose.

Decker87 said:
Ceramique actually kinda makes me nervous. It doesn't make much sense for Arctic Silver to come out with two products for the exact same purpose.
Ceramique doesn't conduct electricity like the regular silver stuff does. Less chance of shorting something out. Just be careful after a year or so of use - the heatsink will seem like it's bonded to the cpu. From my experience it works just as well as the original silver based product. And to the original poster's question: If you have WAY too much time on your hands, are a complete geek, and you are obsessed with overclocking and you won't accept the fact that you didn't receive a CPU that clocks as well as your friend's cpu - then it's time to lap your heatsink.

Decker87 said:

what sean said and AS 5 will void your AMD warranty
I get better temps with ceramique

Back