how do you keep your vregs cool

ryuji

2[H]4U
i've for a few years now been just using a 5v modded 92mm fan held up by my water tubing propped at a angle towards my vid card to cool its regulator and my sound card channels the air flow down over the ram.

years ago i'd use 80mm fans over cpu regs while doing extreme overclocking (for instance 1.9v into a prescott, yea, you read that right. 100% overclock tho :D. ran it that way for months)

now, i upgraded to sandy bridge recently from my core 2 duo. my old solution was just fine with the vreg chilling open air in my case with my water cooling but it gets a bit warm with sb so i was wondering if there is something more sophisticated out there that i havent found yet?

picture of my setup, if it matters at all.
http://ryujiwarui.com/pc/flash.JPG

was considering building some kind of fan shroud out of 40~60mm fans?

Some ASUS boards have included mini-blower fans that you can stick on their VRM sinks. I'm using a pair of those on my box. If you don't want to kludge something together the antec spotcool might be an option, but newegg reviews indicate that the supporting arm isn't strong enough to hold the fan in anything except hang down positions.

Yeah, antec spotcool sucks, they made the arm way too weak. I have passive cooling on my vregs, my case fans take care of moving air over them.

I designed my cooling system in general to be near silent unfortunately that means focused air flow is usually needed. Maybe im being a little too cautious with my new mobo trying to keep the regulators at about 50c

You probably are. voltage regulators are designed to operate at significantly higher temperatures than cpus/etc. I don't know if the ones on mobos count as such, but the higher power models use non-silicon transistors in order to pump more current at higher temperatures without damage.

Back