How do you keep files synced between computers?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone willing to share their workflow of how they keep files "live"-synced between devices? Workflow and/or program recommendations would be great.

I've found a couple programs on a cursory google search, but with the amount of cheap software out there, I'm curious what fellow [H]'ers use and do.

tl;dr

Is there a type of "version-control" software for files, like revolving-ly notated PDF ebooks, which can "live"-sync changes between devices, ideally running behind-the-scenes and without requiring manual interaction?

-----------
The biggest hurdle for me is syncing ebooks between devices, particularly PDF's. I read PDF ebooks, alternating between my home desktop and N7 tablet. But the "hurdle" is that I notate PDF's like a fiend, so it's a pickle trying to keep books synced between devices.

For example, I may be reading a Python programming book on my tablet, highlighting and making notes. When I get back home to my desktop, I want to pick up where I left off -- so I have to save the tablet's PDF, upload it, download it on my desktop, and then continue.

It'd be great if there was a program or workflow that could:

1. Watch for PDF's that get changed (i.e., notes added).

2. Sync changes up with another device/server, "live".

3. Sync changes down on other devices.

Sync tools: Dropbox, SpiderOak (check the general mayhem thread for a referral), owncloud, bittorrent sync, etc.

I'm curious if there are web tools that will help with annotating pdfs. You would think evernote will, but it's not clear if it does.

I use cwRsync at work. It does not have a graphical interface but it is easy to use.

Dropbox and Google Drive are great if you're just wanting something quick and simple to set up. If you want to sync larger files, running something like OwnCloud might work better.

For what you're needing any of these should work if properly set up. If you don't have a personal server then I'd definitely lean towards the commercial "free" products. Just for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT store financial information on either of these in non-encrypted form.

I have to annotate pdfs all the time for work. I use Microsoft's OneDrive for syncing.

I think the issue is more about "version control", so to speak -- monitoring the same file on two separate devices for changes, and then what to do when there are conflicting versions/edits/etc.

Back