How do you guys rack up points in BF2?

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just wondering how you guys rack up points in BF2. I mean, when I play about half the time I actually do pretty good by not getting killed all that much compared to how many of the enemy I take out. Even so, I don't usually get a whole lot of points.

So I'm wondering if I need to focus on doing things other than simply killing to get more points. I'm just kind of wondering how some of you have been able to get up there in rank and unlock more than just one weapon. Right now I'm only a little ways through the Lance Corporal rank and therefore have only unlocked one weapon that I was actually disappointed with.

On that note, how far do you have to go before you can unlock another weapon?

10500 points for ur next unlock.

give ammo to people or be a medic. i usually give ammo as face it, everyone runs out of grenades sometime. capture more spawn points, simply vehicle camp in a tank er something and go around killing lots of people. spawn camp? theres lots of suggestions. be a commander.

I am always in the top 3. The way to do it is to cap flags all the time and get those kills. I like to post up with a humvee near an enemy spawn (capturable spawns only of course) and MG snipe them as they spawn in. Thats always good for at least 10 kills a try. Also make sure that you help your team win. That doubles your bonus for the points. Also 64 player maps with lots of people will help you get kills faster. Mostly it just takes lots of time to get the XP to get better rank. I play for a few hours every 3 days or so. That equates to only 1 gun unlocked for me also. However I do have high kills per min and very nice metals. Not that anyone cares anyways. By the way, my stupid A$$ unlocked the jackhammer :(

I unlocked the G36 and don't really like to use it. I'm not sure what to unlock next once I get to that point. I like to snipe sometimes and being able to snipe copter pilots and what not would be fun. Oh well. It'll be awhile before I'm able to unlock anything else.

Paithar said:
I unlocked the G36 and don't really like to use it. I'm not sure what to unlock next once I get to that point. I like to snipe sometimes and being able to snipe copter pilots and what not would be fun. Oh well. It'll be awhile before I'm able to unlock anything else.

That gun is amazing. Just switch the fire mode to single shot, and you have a very accurate, very powerful weapon. To change fire mode, just press the # assigned to that weapon twice.

MiXdNuTs said:
I am always in the top 3. The way to do it is to cap flags all the time and get those kills. I like to post up with a humvee near an enemy spawn (capturable spawns only of course) and MG snipe them as they spawn in. Thats always good for at least 10 kills a try. Also make sure that you help your team win. That doubles your bonus for the points. Also 64 player maps with lots of people will help you get kills faster. Mostly it just takes lots of time to get the XP to get better rank. I play for a few hours every 3 days or so. That equates to only 1 gun unlocked for me also. However I do have high kills per min and very nice metals. Not that anyone cares anyways. By the way, my stupid A$$ unlocked the jackhammer :(

Why don't you like the Jackhammer? I fired it at some stuff in an empty unlocked server and it just rips those shells off! I know the damage per shell is lower but damn, that thing is fast!!

My perferred method to aquire points is tank whoring on Strike at Karkland, a well known method.

I'm the Dude said:
My perferred method to aquire points is tank whoring on Strike at Karkland, a well known method.

Agreed. Once you get the tank in Strike ar Karkland, it is all over. UNless the opposing tank driver is more than marginally better than you.

I always get more kills in the tank than anythign else. APCs aren't bad either. I have had a 32kill streak at Karkland in the tank before. You just need to keep moving.

J-Mag said:
Agreed. Once you get the tank in Strike ar Karkland, it is all over. UNless the opposing tank driver is more than marginally better than you.

I always get more kills in the tank than anythign else. APCs aren't bad either. I have had a 32kill streak at Karkland in the tank before. You just need to keep moving.

Not unless someone (like me), throws two blocks of C4 on you :)

Essentially any class can get a lot of points. It's just how well you play -- how quick your reflexes are, and how good your instincts are.

versello said:
Not unless someone (like me), throws two blocks of C4 on you :).

anyone ever kill someone trying to c4 you in the back of the apcs from the gun ports? i find it funny, i be in one of the back gun ports, you see someone running up right towards you, unload it at full auto, some funny shit, i only had one smart guying abort and run to the left away from me.

BF2 will reward you more for capturing flags and giving health\ammo to people rather than the number of kills that you have. You can have a negative kill score but still have 100+ overall and teamwork score. Or you can do it the easy way, join a good blackhawk squad, and own anything that comes close to you. :rolleyes:

Blown Cap said:
BF2 will reward you more for capturing flags and giving health\ammo to people rather than the number of kills that you have. You can have a negative kill score but still have 100+ overall and teamwork score. Or you can do it the easy way, join a good blackhawk squad, and own anything that comes close to you. :rolleyes:

I dunno blackhawks aren't as good now that engineers can't heal them in mid air...

An M1A2 or T-90 can easily take an opposing blackhawk down in v1.2

versello said:
Not unless someone (like me), throws two blocks of C4 on you :)

It happens on occasion and usually when I pause to kill someone... But when I am on the move your C4 is worthless.

J-Mag said:
I dunno blackhawks aren't as good now that engineers can't heal them in mid air...

An M1A2 or T-90 can easily take an opposing blackhawk down in v1.2

You can still heal blackhawks in mid air, was doing it yesterday when I was playing. The wrench may not look like it's doing anything, but it is. Another bug that needs to be fixed.

Go all out, play everyday, play team oriented, capture flags, guard flags, kill enemies. Do all this until you hit Lance Corporal, thats the first unlock. Then sit back relax and play some less glitchy unranked servers, because after that the Ranks/Ribbons/Unlocks become absurd.
Code:
# Private- No Unlocks (0 points)
# PFC- No Unlock (500 points)
# Lance Corporal- 1st unlock (1,000 points)
# Corporal- 2nd Unlock (10,500 points)
# Sergeant- 3rd Unlock (25,000 points)
# Staff Sergeant- 4th Unlock(50,000 points)
# Gunnery Sergeant- 5th Unlock(75,000 Global Points)
# Master Sergeant- 6th Unlock(150,000 Global Points)
# First Sergeant- No Unlocks (Basic Knife,Basic Pistol,Basic Assault,Basic Anti-Tank,Basic Sniper,Basic Spec Ops,Basic Support,Basic Engineer ,Basic Medic)
# Master Gunnery Sergeant- Last Unlock (250,000 Global Points)
# Sergeant Major- No Unlocks (250,000, Basic Armor,Basic Transport,Basic Helicopter, Basic Aviator,Basic Air Defense ,Basic Ground Defense)
# Sergeant Major of the Corps- No Unlocks (Highest ranking person at Master Gunnery Sergeant or Sergeant Major level gets this special *rank. Recalculated each month)

Basically going from Lance Corporal to Corporal means you have to get 10x the points it took you to get Lance Corproal. To move up again it takes 2.5x Corporal rank (or 25 times the amount of points it took you to get Lance Corporal). :rolleyes:
So if it took you two weeks to get Lance Corporal it will take 1 year to get Sergeant.

Blown Cap said:

It's even I believe. 2 points for a kill, 2 for a capture, 2 for a neutralize, the ammo and revives I know not of. 1 point for any assist.

Still haven't figured out how commanders get points yet though... I love being commander, having 50 kills and still having points in the single digits :confused:

-wil

Blown Cap said:
You can still heal blackhawks in mid air, was doing it yesterday when I was playing. The wrench may not look like it's doing anything, but it is. Another bug that needs to be fixed.

hmm maybe i need to pay attention more, but I coulda sworn that what happend whilst I was healing a blackhawk that my engineer power drained REAL FAST so that it was down to the "slow" heal if you know what I mean....

ninethreeeleven said:
Basically going from Lance Corporal to Corporal means you have to get 10x the points it took you to get Lance Corproal. To move up again it takes 2.5x Corporal rank (or 25 times the amount of points it took you to get Lance Corporal). :rolleyes:
So if it took you two weeks to get Lance Corporal it will take 1 year to get Sergeant.

I think you need to work on your equitations a bit:rolleyes:

it won't take you a year to get from corporal to seargent

by your own numbers it would take you 3 weeks, if you got corporal in 2

I just made corporal a few days ago and I'm about a third of the way to seargent
it will go faster cause now that you have played a bit you will get higher scores

so with time you will get a better score too

lots of kills and flag caps is best way to get a good score
medic is good, but there are too many medic spammers already
support would be good to supply ammo, if you can do well with the gun

Mostly by doing what you are supposed to do. That is, help your team win. You do this by doing the thing your class can do for your team as much as possible. For example, if you are a medic, heal people. If you are an engineer, fix shit. If you are special ops, take down the command center, guns, and that type shit. Plus, taking command points is key in this game, as stated before.

I almost always score in the top half, and usually score in the top three. And most of my points are repair points, capture points, and kill assists. Very rarely do i actaully kill anyone. I usually play an engineer, and love to be the gunner on the apache or the hind. I just wish more people were better pilots.

HINT: If you are piloting a chopper with a chin gun, altitude is your friend. I get shot down more often than not, due to not being able to aim high enough to take down the opposing chopper. I even had some idiot complaining in team chat that i was a shitty gunner because i "wasn't shooting". Well ass, if i had any chance of hitting the enemy, i would have been unloading on his ass instead of dying in my seat. :mad:

spugnor said:
HINT: If you are piloting a chopper with a chin gun, altitude is your friend. I get shot down more often than not, due to not being able to aim high enough to take down the opposing chopper. I even had some idiot complaining in team chat that i was a shitty gunner because i "wasn't shooting". Well ass, if i had any chance of hitting the enemy, i would have been unloading on his ass instead of dying in my seat. :mad:

true that, i've had that happen many times before. also.

i like playing as support, i've come to love the saw, and it is my buddy. all you have to do is go prone and your fine. you, yourself, have unlimited ammo, and i always find myself running out of ammo in other classes. oh, ride along in a black hawk and be a gunner, i've racked up many kills from that. in one server, there was like a sergeant in there, and i noticed in the previous map he had been in the blackhawk the whole time. well, this map, i looked up in the left corner to see xxx [blackhawk] xxx and times that about 7 times...in a row!

ride in apcs, you can get a hell of alot of assist points. ride in abrams, just crouch in the turret and chill.

Get into a good squad..and do some Blackhawk Whoring..like in Mashtuur city...very easy to get 300 to 350 points on that map with a full blackhawk..and a good compliment of classes helps also..like A medic,2 engineers,2 support,and whatever else for the 2 gunner positions...you are healing and resupplying and fixxing it till the end of the map...

that works exspecially well on Mashtuur City,Shongua Stalemate,and Golden Dragon

Just have to have those engineers on thier constantly repairing.

this will all work till the new patch at the end of the month...then this method will be null and void..

i've gotten pretty efficient at the helicopter, so I'll just get the attack helicopter and a good co-pilot and run around to the empty flags taking them over... the best map for this is kubra dam...

its really really easy to be good at the helicopter, its no sweat getting over 100 points and im often in the top 3 (usually 1 spot) by the end of the round...

its gotten to the point to where anti-air is more of a target than I am a target for anti-air =\ (in kubra dam at least) i've learned to fly low enough so I can pop up on them and take them out before they have the time to lock on...

I have a love hate relationship with helicopter whoring. Sometimes it's not that bad of a method of point gathering, but I think it should be done sparingly maybe one or two flags at best. I wonder how it's going to change with the new patch, I hope it doesnt completely disapear but gets regulated. I love getting points as a medic, but I am anxtiously awaiting to get points for blowing up commanders resources! That way I can use the spec-op unlock I just got!

-Rikus

Basically the ranking and point system is one of grinding. I do not play as much as some people, but I do play enough to be decent and finish in top 3 to 5 players consistently.

What I have noticed is that the people who play more get the unlocks and ranks faster, well duh. But it does not mean they are better. In fact I have only seen one really stellar player with a Seargent ranking, the other 15 or so I have played with have been medicore to good players, or 'copter whores. The ranking is not rewarding good player, just those that play all the time.

I myself do not worry about points, I worry about winning. If you focus on this it is much more rewarding. If you happen to end up in a blackhawk squad then do your best, but there is so much more depth to this game. There is nothing better than working with a good squad, this is the real strength of bf2. One thing I have noticed is that killing is not always the best method for winning. Know your weaknesses. Remember it is much easier to take an undefended flag. Defend key positions, then attack. Think about where the enemy would most likely attack next, and take everything else.

After seeing the amount of points to get the second unlock for BF2, I quit. They are incredibly unrealistic numbers. This coupled with the lack of true widescreen, and a very poorly coded game, will make me never buy a product, in any way associated with EA.

bonkrowave said:
After seeing the amount of points to get the second unlock for BF2, I quit. They are incredibly unrealistic numbers. This coupled with the lack of true widescreen, and a very poorly coded game, will make me never buy a product, in any way associated with EA.

Yeah, sure. I doubt you are gonna ignore 50% of the games out today, plus all the sports games. Give me a break, quit hating on EA, they are just the publisher.

rayg said:
Yeah, sure. I doubt you are gonna ignore 50% of the games out today, plus all the sports games. Give me a break, quit hating on EA, they are just the publisher.

50% of the games lol ya right. Besides all the good games, come from other companies anyway. Playing sports games on a PC is like playing FPS games on a console.

rayg said:

BF2 is the first EA game I've PAYED for since the original Sims. I'll play their games, by I'm not going to play by their rules. And for sports games.... I'll take ANY old Dreamcast title over their rehashed crap they're releasing nowadays.

-wil

-edit Forgot, I'd also bought CnC Generals used, and boy was I PISSED at the CRAP netcode and lack of updates. Should have saved my money and just kept to LAN play with it.

Col_Hogan said:
this will all work till the new patch at the end of the month...then this method will be null and void..
Excellent news! How will the patch fix that then?

For the most part I could care less about actual rank I mainly want to gain points so that I can unlock other weapons and see what they're like. I like to have a variety of weapons to choose from (even if I have to play different kits to use'em all) because I simply like variety. So I was just wondering how everyone else racks up points to see if I was maybe not doing something that I could/should be doing to get those few extra points and get to that next unlock a little faster.

By the way, thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

If you just want to unlock weapons, it'd be faster to just create multiple accounts and advance each to lance corporal. Much faster than trying to "level up" the same account.

^1x said:
I myself do not worry about points, I worry about winning. If you focus on this it is much more rewarding.

QFT...I knew my post was going to sound like whinning, it was not meant ot be though.

This is what sucks about the ranking system, people trying to find the best ways to "rack up points" like it's some kind of MMORPG level grind instead of actually playing the game to help their team win.

Thurlow said:
This is what sucks about the ranking system, people trying to find the best ways to "rack up points" like it's some kind of MMORPG level grind instead of actually playing the game to help their team win.
Dice have gone a long way to make it so that people who just play for points end up helping out team mates anyway. As the medic for example, you get points for healing and reviving so that helps everyone out. I especially like the driver kill assist that encourages tanks or whatever to stand still and let their gunner take something out. That has really helped things imo.

The problem is that some people have found exploits in the system and use it to really rack up huge scores. The loaded black-hawk on mashtuur (spelling?) city is a good example of this. Hopefully Dice will fix this in the next patch (i.e. just fucking remove the black-hawk from what is otherwise a really good map).

bonkrowave said:
50% of the games lol ya right. Besides all the good games, come from other companies anyway. Playing sports games on a PC is like playing FPS games on a console.

OT but the only difference between sports games on a good PC vs a console is the controller, and there are $5 adapters that let you use a ps2 or xbox controller on a PC. There's nothing a console can do that a PC can't do better, until the xbox2 and ps3 come out LOL.

Once I hit corporal I kinda forgot about points and stuff. When you concetrate on the game and not making points, thats when you get a lot of good, consistent points. Yesterday I had a really good squad for 4 or 5 maps in a row and we just went around defending, attacking, whatever we could do to make our team win. By the end I would look at the scoreboard and be like "oh shit, im in first or second place, how did that happen?"

Just have fun and the score will come.

The irony is that the unlocked weapons don't really sway the game that much. It's your skill with vehicles of all types that generally matters, especially for point accrual.

I just hope they have some equation for detecting the exploiting..say too many kills/revives per minute and bans those accounts.

deathBOB said:
Just have fun and the score will come.

Definately! But I think it is more the chicken than the egg. I always have more fun if I am kickin ass. If I happen to have a death streak goin on (rare), I tend not to be quite as cordial (in other words, I am screaming profanities)

Is the medic's unlocked weapon any good? I unlocked the G36C and really liked it, but I'm approaching the medic's weapon and looking for something useful.

Back