How do you guys like the Logitech 5500

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an old set of logitechs, had them for 5yrs but they finally failed, so it's time to upgrade. I saw a deal on the logitech 5500 $244 shipped. So I was wondering are the people who own this unit happy with it, I plan to use it for music, games and movies, I also use a nice headset (a900ltd). Is it worth investing more in a Home receiver/ speakers, HTIB, or a different set of speakers (klipsch promedia ultra and pony up for extended warantee, or creative S750). If I build a audio system I plan to invest no more than $500. Post what you think is best.

best speaker set i ever had but, you must have it played trough optical or it will sound like shit im using the HDA X-Mystique 7.1 i reccomend this card if your going to get the Z-5500's

ellover009 said:
I have x-fi platinum
Just use the X-Fi's digital-out, itll sound the same as the optical (same 1's and 0's). Ive got mine running through digital on a M-Audio 2496 and the z5500s sound excellent.

Only thing is you cant use them to power headphones to any degree, but apart from that theyre awesome.

The Z5500 can't be beat for the price. I'm using the three analog outs from an X-fi card because the digital out is limited to sterio (two channels). It seems to me that if you use the digital out (coax) from the X-fi, then you are not making the most of the sound card and relying more on the Z5500 to do a little magic (decoding/processing). I would be interested in hearing from others on this issue-- using the X-fi digital out with the Z5500.

I am planing into running analog since I don't wanna loose EAX5 and allow the power of my sound card go to waste, to me thats not a feature that would make me choose it over the rest.

Does this bad boy take 14gauge wire? I got some of that. Or do I have to get 16gauge?

I've had mine for about 8 months and they suit my apartment nicely. All three inputs work very well although using premium grade optical and coax digital cables at the same time is difficult. My cable box is through optical and my HD DVD player is through analog. The sub is a little overbearing for my tastes so it's turned fairly low. (I'm sure the neighboring apartments appreciate that as well :D) 14 AWG will be difficult to use if I remember correctly. I believe supplied cables are somewhere in the range of 18 AWG and they work well. To be safe, don't buy cable until after you take a look at them.

I have the X-Fi Platinum and z-5500's and couldn't be happier. I was interested in possibly going to a 5.1 receiver setup for my next build (even opened a thread about it recently) but decided to keep what I have and maybe add a preamplifier inline with the X-Fi since i was convinced that what I have doesn't get much better.

I watch movies, ALOT of gaming and listen to much Jimi Hendrix on my current setup and the z-5500's perform superbly. For to pf the line sound experience the z-5500's are a darn good buy.

So a receiver wont improve the quality. Im gonna try a beat up receiver I have, lets see if I can hook it up at all, is old as hell. ,

Tried it, note to self, 200watt receiver sounds good on tv, sucks on pc big time, couldnt get it to sound loud and clear. I know soundcard overrides and I control all from pc and it sucked, means I needed a more modern receiver, with a lot more power, 200watts doesent get you far.

I have the sub on 2.5 notches, and it still pounds. these things are amazing, best things I have ever heard.

so has anyone sucedded using a receiver and getting good quality.

I narrowed down to
Logitech 5500
Onkyo S790

Please Vote,btw I do own the cable kit to connect a theather system to a pc.

Obviously the 790 would be better, but the 5500 are a lot cheaper. Whichever you want, I'm sure you'll be ok with it.

Back