How do you guys deal with "fully register and original owner ONLY" warranties?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
Lets face it, we all know how the computer hardware world is. Parts change all the time and rarely does anybody keep their parts for more than 2 years...at least for the most part

With that said, I know eVGA has an "original owner only" warranty...it might be good for some...but for others I'm sure it can be somewhat of a hassle...for those who have bought or sold eVGA video cards...how do you handle warranty situations?

I find it funny how on eVGA own terms and agreement, they say if you buy the card 2nd hand, there is no warranty...yet I see in there FS section a bunch of eVGA's own members selling eVGA products and saying "I will assist with RMA"....

I might try MSI next...I really like their business model of serial number only warranties. Or should I just stick with eVGA and whoever I sell it to, just say all RMA costs will be on you?

I always offer to assist with RMA with all costs being the responsibility of the new owner. Pretty simple. Just pass the shipping information on to the new owner, then when the replacement card is sent to you, you send it on to the new owner with them paying your shipping costs.

I always offer to assist with RMA with all costs being the responsibility of the new owner. Pretty simple. Just pass the shipping information on to the new owner, then when the replacement card is sent to you, you send it on to the new owner with them paying your shipping costs.

Would it not be easier to give the manufacture the new owners address and have the card shipped directly to them, that would save on shipping.

Would it not be easier to give the manufacture the new owners address and have the card shipped directly to them, that would save on shipping.

Sure, if you don't have anything else of importance tied to your profile on their website, that would be possible.

this would be easier...but eVGA's policy, and some other companies ONLY work with the original owner...and i doubt you can tell evga, hey ship it over here across the country because i moved

I don't mind original owner only warranties as I usually hold on to things forever and if I buy used the warranty doesn't factor into my purchase decision. However I am not a huge fan of having to go out of my way to register for a warranty I've already paid for. If I can provide a copy of the original receipt/invoice, box, and at least a copy of the UPC, if used for a rebate, then it shouldn't matter if I registered or not.

I don't mind original owner only warranties as I usually hold on to things forever and if I buy used the warranty doesn't factor into my purchase decision. However I am not a huge fan of having to go out of my way to register for a warranty I've already paid for. If I can provide a copy of the original receipt/invoice, box, and at least a copy of the UPC, if used for a rebate, then it shouldn't matter if I registered or not.

with eVGA and XFX, if you don't register within 30 days, your warranty is limited to 1-2 years instead of the lifetime. it only takes a few minutes to register so I don't feel like I am going out of my way.

I sold my expensive card to my friend and I will handle the warranty for him if he ever needs it.

I know it only takes a few mins but at least in the case of evga the life-warranty cards have a higher msrp and typically cost more out the door with the length of warranty being the major difference. Why should you have to register for something you have already paid for? Its almost like the warranty is entering the realm of the rebate.

For the record I have been registering my gear and pushing my friends to do the same.

I know it only takes a few mins but at least in the case of evga the life-warranty cards have a higher msrp and typically cost more out the door with the length of warranty being the major difference. Why should you have to register for something you have already paid for? Its almost like the warranty is entering the realm of the rebate.

For the record I have been registering my gear and pushing my friends to do the same.

then you might want to consider MSI warranty...just because they go by serial number, no registration or anything...just serial number and it doesn't matter how many people owned the card

but if you really truly keep the cards forever, then evga will probably be your best bet...but you DO HAVE TO register for the warranty

this would be easier...but eVGA's policy, and some other companies ONLY work with the original owner...and i doubt you can tell evga, hey ship it over here across the country because i moved
Why would that matter? I've moved across the country 3 times since purchasing my eVGA 260GTX..

I have never dealt with their RMA process, but I'm pretty sure they have no legal ground for denying any warranty claims based on residency change.

Why would that matter? I've moved across the country 3 times since purchasing my eVGA 260GTX..

I have never dealt with their RMA process, but I'm pretty sure they have no legal ground for denying any warranty claims based on residency change.

lol...yes i understand your point...i had a uncle in the marine corps and he moved around 3 times in a span of 10 years...but i really wouldn't know how eVGA would handle it...i mean they can obviously give a clicks or phone calls...and can easily see who is living at so and so address...and if its obviously not you, they can consider it against their terms of agreement

i personally don't like it either...considering evga has EXCELLENT customer service and their forums are great...their products are great too...but i just feel its like they are imposing a "DRM" on us....you have to register within 30 days, you have to be the original owner, etc etc...thats basically limiting the product on you...just like how you buy a game and its steamworks title, its tied to the account permanently...its kind of a good thing for those who keep their hardware forever...but its GENERALLY not the case for most enthusiast, as they change hardware quite often

i have never ever in my life used a warranty for anything computer related. I think im the smartest shopper on earth.

One things my friends have taught me is that registering a card within a few days is imperative. After seeing them bitten on more than one occasion, I figure a few minutes of my time is worth a few hours of hassle later.

With that said, I've sold cards in the past and have help out the new owner on the occasion that they needed warranty work. Most of my stuff is sold locally at LANS so it's easier to deal with. One thing I refuse to do is help someone if they bought the card third hand from the person I originally sold the card to.

Any future AMD card purchases will be XFX brands for their double lifetime warranty. Nvidia cards will always be EVGA.

Back