• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do you guys clean a touch screen?

Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,012
I recently purchased a 2 in 1 laptop/tablet and the screen is pristine. It's so pristine I don't even want to use the touch screen features because I'll be damned if I ever get it just as nice as it is now.

Is it possible to really get all of the finger oil off of the monitor?? I recently put my ipad up for sale and even with a mildly damp microfiber cloth it still had some streaks in it. Anyone have any tips?
 
I recently used this for my work pc and plan on getting a bottle for home. It works really well. Just sprayed it on and wiped clean with a microfiber. It says to let your monitor cool before using it but I didn't.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like to use a microfiber cloth and the spray that comes with so many screen protectors nowadays (soapy water). I just spray the cloth (don't spray the screen!) with the spray and wipe down my phone/tablet and that gets everything off really well.
 
I use water and one of those cloths (I don't know what the material is called) that usually comes with phone screen protectors, monitors and TV's. Thoroughly wet the cloth and wring it out well, wipe the screen then dry with dry cloth of the same type.
 
I use water and one of those cloths (I don't know what the material is called) that usually comes with phone screen protectors, monitors and TV's. Thoroughly wet the cloth and wring it out well, wipe the screen then dry with dry cloth of the same type.

Yes, I'm familiar with those small clothes, I have quite a few lying around.

Also, that gel that Drklu recommended is interesting....I may give that a shot.
 
No need to buy anything special. Just use rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol, 30% distilled water) available in any grocery store for cheap. No need to dilute it; I wouldn't expect any touchscreen finish to be particularly delicate, because it's meant to be touched.
 
I use a microfiber cloth and hand sanitizer. It works great for getting rid of the oil and everything from your fingers. It also kills all the germs.
 
I use a microfiber cloth and hand sanitizer. It works great for getting rid of the oil and everything from your fingers. It also kills all the germs.

I recall reading (especially from apple) that some tablets have a protective coating on the screens and alcohol and remove it? Any truth to this?
 
An old but clean white t-shirt, lukewarm soapy water (use dish washing soap like Dawn, Joy, Palmolive or hand soap), and squeeze/wring out as much water possible. Wipe in alternating vertical pattern from one side of the screen to the other (like mowing a rectangular grass lawn). Use a dry section of the t-shirt and dry immediately in the same pattern as well.
 
Last edited:
Hand sanitizer is made of ethyl alcohol and possibly some fragrances. It kills bacteria. It doesn't kill virii, and it does not clean anything; it leaves a residue that you will need to wash off some other way. This is a terrible idea for cleaning touchscreens.

Rubbing alcohol is made of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. The reason it's a mainstay for cleaning LCD screens, mirrors, and other delicate finishes is that while it is a fairly powerful cleaner, it completely evaporates, and evaporates so quickly that it doesn't have time to damage a finish.

Never use Windex to clean LCD monitors or mirrors. Ammonia cleaners like Windex will leave permanent yellow blotches on LCD monitor screens, and if you've ever seen mirrors with those grey worn-away spots, that was caused by cleaning with ammonia. I wouldn't use it on touchscreens either.
 
Hand sanitizer is made of ethyl alcohol and possibly some fragrances. It kills bacteria. It doesn't kill virii, and it does not clean anything; it leaves a residue that you will need to wash off some other way. This is a terrible idea for cleaning touchscreens.

The only difference between ethyl and isopropyl is isopropyl has an extra carbon and hydrogen attached it. They are pretty much the same. Both ethyl and isopropyl will kill many viruses (virii is the incorrect pluralization :p) like HIV, hepatitis B, herpes, influenza, etc. To even properly kill everything we would have to leave our screens covered in alcohol for 10 seconds or more. So, this is really just silly as none of us do that. Regardless, it doesn't have to kill viruses as they will get wiped off with the microfiber cloth. There isn't much crevices or anything for it to hide. Also, viruses won't reproduce without a living host anyways.

It doesn't leave anything behind (even if it does you can not see it), and completely get rids of any finger prints or gunk on the screen. Hand sanitizer will self evaporate. I use the fragrance-less kind. It's not on there for more than a few seconds.
 
Back
Top