How do you get WU to ignore Malicious software removal tool download?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
I find it really really really irritating to run windows update on a brandnew install because after a lot of the updates are downloaded (not all!), it prompts me to install the windows malicious software removal tool for each month starting from 2005 which are completely irrelevant if it's a clean machine. So I was wondering, where exactly does WU store the information about what updates have been installed and which updates have been told to be "ignored" so that in the future, I can just copy this list onto the target machine and be able to skip all the "ignore this update" etc. etc.?

Where is this list of "declined updates" stored on my machine anyways?

I find it really really really irritating to run windows update on a brandnew install because after a lot of the updates are downloaded (not all!), it prompts me to install the windows malicious software removal tool for each month starting from 2005 which are completely irrelevant if it's a clean machine. So I was wondering, where exactly does WU store the information about what updates have been installed and which updates have been told to be "ignored" so that in the future, I can just copy this list onto the target machine and be able to skip all the "ignore this update" etc. etc.?

Where is this list of "declined updates" stored on my machine anyways?

i think you have totally missed the point of haveing the that removal tool, it wants to install the older updates becuase thats soft ware is still out there on the initernet, only doing the most recent update only aloows you to remove the most recent problematic code... its lke anti virus software.. it dose you absolutly no good if you dont keep it up to date... this include all of the old virus's that where writen in the past as well.

i think you have totally missed the point of haveing the that removal tool, it wants to install the older updates becuase thats soft ware is still out there on the initernet, only doing the most recent update only aloows you to remove the most recent problematic code... its lke anti virus software.. it dose you absolutly no good if you dont keep it up to date... this include all of the old virus's that where writen in the past as well.
it's not a security patch, all it does is nag you about not having any infections and other stupid nonsense. I don't want it running on my systems and I want to be able to, when installing updates to simply not have decline each and every "tool" update for all the months it was made for.

I install every single update that's available on Windows Update for any version of Windows I happen to run, and honestly, I have never had anything ever "nag" me about a damned thing. How some of you folks end up with such issues is beyond me, I swear...

If you don't want the updates, don't select them, simple. Windows Update does give you that option - there are no updates that are absolutely forced on anyone.

I agree. Never once, aside from a machine that was infected with some nasty spyware, has the MSRT ever nagged me. I have it install on 35 computers in my workplace, and if it nagged any one of my employees, they'd come and tell me.

Either way I know what he is talking about. It is annoying as fuck when you load up and windows updates start coming down, and you have to install a zillion of the malicious software tool updates. Aside from that he does have the freedom NOT to install that particular update if he doesn't want to. I agree there should be some choice with that particular 'definition' based update as it is called via WSUS.

If you have access to a w2k3 box then you could set it up and be in full control ;).

Just this morning I set up a new, fresh XP Pro install, with SP2 slipstreamed into the install disc. I'm doing so to build a new image. I had one MSRT to install in my batch of Windows Updates. How are you seeing "all of these" updates? You should be seeing one. If the problem lies with using a pre-SP2 install disc, it's a very simple fix, and it should have been done a few years ago.

Just this morning I set up a new, fresh XP Pro install, with SP2 slipstreamed into the install disc. I'm doing so to build a new image. I had one MSRT to install in my batch of Windows Updates. How are you seeing "all of these" updates? You should be seeing one. If the problem lies with using a pre-SP2 install disc, it's a very simple fix, and it should have been done a few years ago.

Try telling it NOT to install the latest one when it comes down. If you want to ignore these updates, it continually goes back every month. If you for instance don't install January and you tell it not to tell you about it again, it will let you know you're missing the one from december! Then November! Then October!. You have to ignore a lot of them before you are done. The point is you should be able to ignore it without being hassled over and over.

The point is the updates exist for a reason, so update and be done with it. Everytime someone "goes against the flow" we end up with just another one of these pointless threads where someone whines and cries about Windows for whatever reason.

Funny, I don't see a single person anywhere whining about the voluminous updates that any given Linux distro installs when it's up and running after a clean install. I did an Ubuntu 7.10 install just yesterday in a VM to test something, and after the install there were 213 updates for a total of about 194MB - Windows Update doesn't have that much for XP for a clean install of SP2, so I really don't know what all the god damned fuss is about.

If you don't want to hit Windows Update, then don't fucking hit Windows Update. Go find your patches someplace else - there are several sources online. But complaining about updates that do exist just 'cause "I don't want 'em" isn't going to get you any high marks, it just comes off as being a whining baby. Anything on Windows Update is OPTIONAL, EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM because you don't have to even load Windows Update at ALL if you don't want to. The purpose of Automatic Updates isn't to force them on you as a user, it's automatic because most people wouldn't remember to get the updates monthly as they're typically posted.

There's nothing on Windows Update that is bad or not useful, so really, get with the program or go run some other damned OS will ya.

Try telling it NOT to install the latest one when it comes down.
That goes to the bigger point of the thread, I guess. Why would I want to ignore it? Assuming your system is clean and uninfected, you don't ever hear from it again.

The removal tool "update" only scans and runs while its being installed. After that it never runs again unless you do it from the command prompt. Just install them and be done with it.

Well, there's that WGA thing.... :)

I install every single update that's available on Windows Update for any version of Windows I happen to run, and honestly, I have never had anything ever "nag" me about a damned thing. How some of you folks end up with such issues is beyond me, I swear...

If you don't want the updates, don't select them, simple. Windows Update does give you that option - there are no updates that are absolutely forced on anyone.

Try telling it NOT to install the latest one when it comes down. If you want to ignore these updates, it continually goes back every month. If you for instance don't install January and you tell it not to tell you about it again, it will let you know you're missing the one from december! Then November! Then October!. You have to ignore a lot of them before you are done. The point is you should be able to ignore it without being hassled over and over.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better.

The point is the updates exist for a reason, so update and be done with it. Everytime someone "goes against the flow" we end up with just another one of these pointless threads where someone whines and cries about Windows for whatever reason
That is completely aside from the point, I asked how you do something and all I'm looking for is a response, not a debate about the legitimacy of what I'm doing thank you very much!
Funny, I don't see a single person anywhere whining about the voluminous updates.(Insert more unrelated ramblings)
If you don't want to hit Windows Update, then don't fucking hit Windows Update. Go find your patches someplace else - there are several sources online. But complaining about updates that do exist just 'cause "I don't want 'em" isn't going to get you any high marks, it just comes off as being a whining baby. Anything on Windows Update is OPTIONAL, EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM because you don't have to even load Windows Update at ALL if you don't want to. The purpose of Automatic Updates isn't to force them on you as a user, it's automatic because most people wouldn't remember to get the updates monthly as they're typically posted.

There's nothing on Windows Update that is bad or not useful, so really, get with the program or go run some other damned OS will ya.
Congratulations, you've turned this into a issue about how unappreciative I am and that I should go somewhere else or "get lost" if I don't like how it is. All I asked was how I could get WU in the taskbar to not bug me about updates I know the machine doesn't need because it's a fresh install DURR!!!!! :rolleyes:

yeah, but once the PC is authed, you never see that again either...

Thats bullshit and you know it, there are no guarantees with windows, there are plenty of people who are constantly hassled about their os not being "genuine". Just because you haven't experienced the issue, doesn't mean that others haven't either.

Thats bullshit and you know it, there are no guarantees with windows, there are plenty of people who are constantly hassled about their os not being "genuine". Just because you haven't experienced the issue, doesn't mean that others haven't either.
You know, one could very easily say the same thing about your MSRT "issue", couldn't they? Things that make you go......hmmmmmm.

You know, one could very easily say the same thing about your MSRT "issue", couldn't they? Things that make you go......hmmmmmm.
Not really, there is a difference between admitting to something and denying something. There would be no reason to make this up since it's a question, not a rant. The only "agenda" with a question is for an answer but for a rant, such as "you can't even send MMS on the IPHONE!!!!!" that can have a motive of deteriorating the iphone and if it isn't substantiated, then it's just FUD or slander. I'm not asking this question as an answer, I'm asking this question because I really want to know where the list of updates the machine denies is stored.

yeah, but once the PC is authed, you never see that again either...

Not true, my laptop gets the WGA check every time it does a windows update, its a freeking Dell built Windows XP Pro MCE computer.

Back