How do you get Vista 64 bit?

iamfett

Weaksauce
While at Best Buy the other day w/the family, I was checking out Vista. Box has no mention of 32 bit or 64 bit (except Ultimate). Interested in Home Premium (can't find a reason for Ultimate unless someone can point one out). Anyways, I'm interested in a 64 bit version, how do I get one ?

Thanks in advance.

There are really two ways to get it. Regardless of the method used, you'll need to purchase that 32bit version.

The "official" method is to order the 64 bit media from Microsoft after you purchase that 32bit disk. I think there is a small charge for this, and it takes a couple of weeks to arrive.

However, if you have a friend that has the 64bit media, you can buy the 32bit version and borrow your friends media (I'd make a make a copy so you have it for later) and install with that. Don't use your friends key, as that would be a violation of his license, but instead, use your 32bit key. Vista keys are valid for both 32 and 64bit installations.

The proper way to get it here is to click the newegg banner at the top of the forum, then order it from Newegg. :cool:

Buy a copy and then you have to tell MS that you want the version in 32 or 64bit depending on your preference and then they will send you the DVD.

The proper way to get it here is to click the newegg banner at the top of the forum, then order it from Newegg. :cool:

Yeah I did that about 2 months ago and got a badly scratched disk right out of the box. Sent it back through RMA and they said they don't cover physical damage (even if you get it from them damaged), and sent me on my merry way, $100 poorer and without an OS.

I'm still waiting for them to send it back to me. Newegg sucks for software, because they basically sell it "as is" regardless of the policy stated on the website. (well they say they cover it but they don't.. They don't cover physical damage but they cover damage.. wtf.)

I just hope that I actually get to use the computer in my sig before Nehalem CPUs and Windows 7 are the norm!

Yeah I did that about 2 months ago and got a badly scratched disk right out of the box. Sent it back through RMA and they said they don't cover physical damage (even if you get it from them damaged), and sent me on my merry way, $100 poorer and without an OS.
As long as you have the key, where you get the OS from is not for us to know.

Inside the retail package, iamfett, is a printed leaflet telling you about the ordering process for the alternative install media dosk, and providing you with the url of the website where you formally order it. Costs postage and handling costs only. The retail 'Vista Ultimate' already contains both disks. The same install key works for either install media disk, but you are (legally) not allowed to use it with both at the same time.

OEM System Builder pack install keys will also (in a practical sense) 'work' with either install media disk but the OEM license terms do not legally entitle you to order or use the alternate install media.

I picked up an OEM Home Premium 64 bit from Microcenter (you can also order online). Currently at $80.

<smart_ass>

I logged into my MSDN Premium account and clicked Operating Systems->Windows Vista->Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (DVD)->Download

</smart_ass>

I'm still waiting for them to send it back to me. Newegg sucks for software, because they basically sell it "as is" regardless of the policy stated on the website. (well they say they cover it but they don't.. They don't cover physical damage but they cover damage.. wtf.)

I just hope that I actually get to use the computer in my sig before Nehalem CPUs and Windows 7 are the norm!

Maybe Newegg sucks for software, but I bet if you contacted MS they would take care of it for you. I had a case several years ago where I had a cracked Encarta DVD, which was also out of the warranty period. I called up MS, explained the situation, and they overnighted me a new disk, free of charge.

Maybe Newegg sucks for software, but I bet if you contacted MS they would take care of it for you. I had a case several years ago where I had a cracked Encarta DVD, which was also out of the warranty period. I called up MS, explained the situation, and they overnighted me a new disk, free of charge.

If I'd have known Newegg were going to be such dicks about it, I would have done that instead. I figure if anybody would be a bunch of dicks, it would have been Microsoft.. Now I know!

It's been through so many hands now, I'll be lucky if the damn serial key wasn't snagged. I hope Microsoft'll fix that too. :(

I simply bought Vista 64bit Home Premium OEM :) - why would anyone buy 32bit medium?:p:D

Inside the retail package, iamfett, is a printed leaflet telling you about the ordering process for the alternative install media dosk, and providing you with the url of the website where you formally order it. Costs postage and handling costs only. The retail 'Vista Ultimate' already contains both disks. The same install key works for either install media disk, but you are (legally) not allowed to use it with both at the same time.

I ordered my 64bit disk from MS. It was pretty painless. I went to the website and put in my CD key and Credit card number. It cost around 12 bucks USD and took about two weeks to arrive.

Back