How do you get the 'gunk' off a mousepad?

x y u

Limp Gawd
I'm a pretty avid gamer so my mouse pads get quite a lot of miles on them. Lately I've noticed all my mouse pads pretty much become unusable because they start to build chunks of black substances on the pad surface. I can only guess it comes from my hand rubbing on the pad? This stuff really gets into the pad's fabric or even plastic.

Does anyone know what's causing this. I mean I'm not some dirty slob eating Cheetos and using the mouse. Does anyone else have this problem or am i just that nasty :(

I'm not sure how to get it out of this steel-series mouse pad which is fabric on top and hardened rubber on the bottom.

not sure what causes it, but I've always used dish soap and one of those plastic pan scrubbies to clean anything off my mouse pads, when I used them. always worked for me, but if anyone has any better ideas I might check those out first since this could be rough on it.

My QCK heavy had a lot shit all in it and I grabbed a rag and some soapy water and scrubbed the shit out of it. Came out looking brand new.

Just throw it in the wash with your clothes and hang it over a chair to dry. I do it with my QcK Mass pad every other month. Comes out looking brand new every time.

Probably a build up of mouse feet constantly rubbing body oils sperm and dead skin. I use dish soap and a scrubber.

It's probably a mix of oil from your hands, sweat, and the plastic that rubs off of your mouse feet. I only ever use a cloth and water to clean my pad, but I use a hard pad, so it that might not be as effective for a soft pad. I know Puretrak has said that you can wash their pads in a washing machine, and some people have had good results doing the same with QCKs.

And you also may want to clean off the bottom of your mouse and the feet while you're at it as a lot of dust and shit can gather there as well.

Brush and dish soap. If you can't wait for it to dry up, just use Lysol wipes instead.

if you are worried about your pads surface, such as if you had a treated cloth pad, use a large tub of warm water. soak the mat and then directly apply delicate fabric laundry detergent to the affect spots. rub gently and let soak. this is what i have to do with my artisan mousepad. takes a bit of time, but it comes out looking brand new and the surface doesnt seem to get worn at all.

I'll try the detergent method. The problem with the washing machine is my current mousepad is a padded fabric on top and a hard rubber (unbendable) on the bottom, so it can't really go in the washing machine.

i've tried using dish soap and a washcloth and scrubbing it, but this is really into the fabric well. >_<

Yeah this is why I use hard pads more than soft, because my hands sweat a lot when I'm gaming, and hard pads are SO easy to clean compared to soft ones.

yeah dont use the washing machine, just use a tub of water and mild detergent. spot scrub with your hands or a soft cloth and then let it sit in the water for a while. make sure you use color safe detergent. last time i cleaned mine i let it soak overnight and then let it dry in the sun the next day. came out looking new.

I use a small flip knife and scrape that shit into the garbage can.... its nasty looking, hairy, gloppy shit. not worth anything on earth, not even dirt (which is mostly what it is)

usually has 2 or 3 spots on my mouse/mousepad and they come off in one, nasty, hairy piece... always

I have a metal Dell mousepad, so i can't just wing it anywhere to clean it lol... so far, so clean for the most part. No water near my shit, and it lasts a looooong time

collects very slowly where my wrist hits the corner of the wood desk, as well.. knife it a few swipes, and its gon-gon-goneeee

Originally Posted by S0m30n3 View Post
Probably a build up of mouse feet constantly rubbing body oils sperm and dead skin. I use dish soap and a scrubber.

LOL x 2!!!

Back