How do you fix Audio Sync Problems in AVIs?

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Well, I got this AVI File that's giving me the fits. It's encoded with DivX and according to Virtual Dub MP3 audio. The video is about 1.5 seconds behind the audio of the file. Which gets rather annoying during any dialogue to hear what the person said then read their lips. I know Virtual dub is capable of fixing these problems but I haven't the faintest idea on how to use it or if other tools are available. Any info you guys could enlighten me with would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your CPU is underpowered for the decoding task at hand and hence decoding of the video and audio goes out of synch. (gradually).

2) The framerate of the video and audio do not quite match, resulting in audio gradually going off-synch.

3) Wrong audio off-set. The audio is constantly off-synch from beginning to end of video, by a constant amount of time too.

4) A combination of two or more of the above factors.

The first problem is easily solved by upgrading to a faster CPU or even by freeing up system resources (so that the CPU can dedicate itself to decoding the movie and, hopefully, be able to keep the audio synched with the video).

The second problem can be solved by changing the framerate of the video so that it matches that of the audio. It might be hard to tell what framerate to use, so it is a hit-or-miss affair in this case. A good start would be to use Virtualdub and change the framerate "so video and audio durations match". If that does not do the trick, it is down to manually guessing the framerate, I am afraid.

The third problem is much more easily solved by listening to the audio and estimating by how much the audio is off-synch from the video. Virtualdub can be used to correct the audio offset.

Hope that helps a bit. Cheers.

Well, I have a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 Hyperthreaded with a Gig of DDR. So system specs aren't a problem. I tried playing with the file more in Virtual Dub some more and VDub complains about the Variable Bitrate of the audio stream saying it causes 1589ms offset. Which I can just about eyeball as being true. I'll give FFDshow a try but I'm not going to hold my breath because Mplayer for Win32 even has problems with the file.

Back