How do you enjoy STALKER?

phobic

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes, people like different things but I keep hearing how "awesome" this game is. I've tried to play it 4 or 5 times and end up quitting and uninstalling. I'm obviously missing something but I just don't feel drawn into the game. I usually get past the first village with all the people that shoot you and I end up stopping because the mechanics feel like crap.

Is this considered more of a sandbox type game? I've had similar experiences with Morrowind and Oblivion, both which I quit early on into the game. Are there any must have mods to try or should I just forget it?

The beginning is pretty boring but once you get to town it really takes off. Try to stick with it at least to the garbage. I started having more fun there.

did the same thing as OP, never understood what was so great about this game. Got bored after about 4 mins. But then again i get bored of virtually every FPS type games SP in about that amount of time.

You have to ignore the shoddy mechanics. This is an Eastern European game, but it's post-apocalypse so just pretend it's part of the experience (half-joking here). It also starts as a survival game, not a run-and-gun shooter.

It's not really a sandbox game (unless you make it one). Follow the quests, but do some side quests if you need extra cash for supplies.

Try the Stolls Mod Compilation: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=64508 I don't know if it fixes the gun accuracy though. Don't bother with Oblivion Lost or anything until you've played the vanilla game.

The game is all about atmosphere. I usually tell people to get to Lab X18 before giving up (which, admittedly, is a good 5-10 hours into the game). If it doesn't grab you at that point, then there's no real point for you to continue, and you should probably play a game that suits your interests better, like a Call of Duty or Bioshock or something.

Try to lower screen resolution and other settings so you can use a little dynamic lighting (can't remember if the middle option or the highest option is the "required" one). It really changes the look of the engine and may help draw you in with the atmosphere.

Also, the AI breaks a lot but when it works it's amazing. In the first battle, try to get the other stalkers to start a standoff gun battle with the bandits while you flank around. You'll be amazed when the bad guy doesn't immediately turn toward you like the usual rail shooters, and you can easily pick him off from the side. That's what drew me in, and the atmosphere sealed it, though I'm kind of biased toward that setting.

Yes, people like different things but I keep hearing how "awesome" this game is. I've tried to play it 4 or 5 times and end up quitting and uninstalling. I'm obviously missing something but I just don't feel drawn into the game. I usually get past the first village with all the people that shoot you and I end up stopping because the mechanics feel like crap.

Is this considered more of a sandbox type game? I've had similar experiences with Morrowind and Oblivion, both which I quit early on into the game. Are there any must have mods to try or should I just forget it?

I'm having the same issue, I bought it on steam after reading all the threads on how good the game is. I installed all the mods suggested and tried to like the game...its just not happening. I've played it about 4 times so far and just cannot get into this game. Maybe one of these times something will click and ill start getting into it.

General note: it will take more than 4 minutes to get into it. Restarting a hundred million times isn't going to help either if you give up after the first quest. You have to put some effort into it. And if it still sucks after Lab X18, then I apoloigize in advance. The game is not for everyone, but it's brilliant for those of us that it has hooked.

Perhaps Clear Sky will fix a lot of these problems and make it easier to play.

The Oblivion Lost mod made the game much better and more enjoyable. The unique atmosphere is what sets the game apart. The developers agreed that it wasn't as good as they wanted it to be, but Clear Sky is supposed to be the game they wanted to make in the first place.

I tried & re-tried STALKER several times before the game sunk in enough to keep me playing. I originally got it for the setting, environment, storyline, etc. I never thought the graphics were all that special, but advanced eye candy is no higher than #4 on my "why I buy video games" list. I'm at a point where I definitely want to finish STALKER, but I'm not compelled to spend lots of time to do so. COD4, Deus Ex, Half-Life 1, Dreamfall, Oblivion, Fallout are some of the games that REALLY grabbed and kept me riveted from beginning to end.

Glad I'm not the only one that's had failed experiences with this game. I'm going to take Tim's suggestion and try to get to that XLab place to see if I should just give up on the game for good.

IMHO you really have to force yourself to give the game a chance which is unfortunate but ultimately rewarding. The problem is that the ballistics in the game are all wrong, and as a result the game really is a drag until you get some decent gear. Which takes a few hours, assuming your install doesn't have stability issues.

I wouldn't really call the game sandbox because although each zone is fairly open you really don't have many options at your disposal to handle each situation.

Lab x18 is good, but you need to fight your way through wild territory to really understand what the game is about. Besides being a goldmine for guns and ammo and artifacts, wild territory is a scary and dangerous place to be, there is a gun fight to be had at every corner, and they seem to hide the right monster at the right place in that map, it really keeps you on your toes.

As soon as my new video card gets here, im going to fire that game up and play it again before clear sky comes out.

The problem is that the ballistics in the game are all wrong, and as a result the game really is a drag until you get some decent gear.

The ballistics are actually pretty accurate. The bullets actually drop the further out you shoot and shooting a machine gun from the hip isn't going to be as accurate as zooming in the rifle. Try to use the sights on your gun and you will see your accuracy improve. This isn't CoD4 or Quake 3 where the ballistics are much more forgiving.

The ballistics are actually pretty accurate. The bullets actually drop the further out you shoot and shooting a machine gun from the hip isn't going to be as accurate as zooming in the rifle. Try to use the sights on your gun and you will see your accuracy improve. This isn't CoD4 or Quake 3 where the ballistics are much more forgiving.

Agreeded; ballistics are tough to get used to after games that don't take drop/wind/reciol into account; but once you get used to it its a great game. I actually have a great time playing this in multiplayer as well, standard TeamDM, but the weapon configs are nice for that.

I think people expect to be able to run and gun early on. Like someone mentioned, the game is more about survival. You die much easier in this game than your typical fps.

The game takes cunning, that's for sure. The environment is as difficult to survive as the enemies you face, especially with the blowouts.

Blowouts in Prypiat really suck.

Blowouts in Prypiat really suck.
Umm.. if they make it there, I think you can be certain that they've enjoyed the game.

The first area, Cordon, is pretty bland. Just try to survive, explore, do a few side quests that are located in relatively safe areas if you can. Work your way north. If you see a pack of dogs, wild boars, or too many bandits, then RUN. Pay the military guys the first time or two rather than trying to fight them.

The next area, Garbage, starts with a pretty big battle between stalkers and bandits. If the A-Life is working well, it should be pretty awesome; otherwise, it may end up being annoying as you have to pick off all the bandits yourself. Lots of weapons dropped here, so you should be okay for a while.

Head on to Agroprom. There is another battle between stalkers and bandits here. In Garbage you should get a quest to talk to someone here. Sometimes he dies, may want to reload, I can't remember if it's critical or not. Now you have two choices, the military base or the sewers. I thought the military base was easy but some people struggle for a long time with it.

I suggest you check out the sewers, because even before Lab X18 it gives you a glimpse of what STALKER is all about. It's very intense. Hopefully that's not more than 5-7 hours of play or so to get there.

Actually they wouldn't. Transitions only pertain to consecutive sentences. A new paragraph is a new paragraph.

Couldn't get into the game either. I'd go do the first mission alone without help and get a bit pissed when my headshots weren't killing the enemies, then after that mission get chased like half a virtual mile by a pack of blind dogs then /quit and uninstall.

I think I've done that like 5 times now. Something just doesn't feel right about the game to me starting off.

I got greedy and installed the full blown Weather Overhauled package and now my 8800GTS can't keep up at 1920x1200 :S. I want to finish this game before clearsky comes out, but I also don't want to buy a new video card just yet.

Couldn't get into the game either. I'd go do the first mission alone without help and get a bit pissed when my headshots weren't killing the enemies, then after that mission get chased like half a virtual mile by a pack of blind dogs then /quit and uninstall.

I think I've done that like 5 times now. Something just doesn't feel right about the game to me starting off.

Yeah I get the same thing. There's something about the first mission that's just... off. It's weird but I'll try some of the suggestions Tim made before I vow to never try this game again.

Agreeded; ballistics are tough to get used to after games that don't take drop/wind/reciol into account; but once you get used to it its a great game. I actually have a great time playing this in multiplayer as well, standard TeamDM, but the weapon configs are nice for that.

The ballistics are accurate in the sense that the gun's inherent accuracy doesn't change regardless to how you use it. However in gameplay you would expect to be more accurate using the sights. That is not the case, you are just as accurate using the crosshairs as the weapon sights. In fact I suggest not using the weapon sights since all it does is obscure your view of the target and lower your movement speed. Test it out yourself.

Why? You just got dropped into a dangerous area with no memory of who you are. I know in most games you'd run out and start doing headshots (BOOM!) but in this case maybe you should meet up with the other 3 or 4 stalkers that are there to help you. You have to try to survive for the first few hours, not worry about the shoddy game mechanics.

[EDIT] You guys should read the dirtypop thread, where he starts off saying exactly the same things and is now one of the game's biggest fans after toughing it out. Many people have already been in your position. It's just like growing pains. :p

You all aren't the people I worry about. I kind of panic that someone will tough it through most of the entire game and still think the effort was worthless. The game is still not for everyone, but certainly gets a lot better after the first 3 minutes and 22 seconds or whatever.

I don't like it. The combat feels all wrong to me. I hope Clear Sky is better.

Why? You just got dropped into a dangerous area with no memory of who you are. I know in most games you'd run out and start doing headshots (BOOM!) but in this case maybe you should meet up with the other 3 or 4 stalkers that are there to help you. You have to try to survive for the first few hours, not worry about the shoddy game mechanics.

[EDIT] You guys should read the dirtypop thread, where he starts off saying exactly the same things and is now one of the game's biggest fans after toughing it out. Many people have already been in your position. It's just like growing pains. :p

You all aren't the people I worry about. I kind of panic that someone will tough it through most of the entire game and still think the effort was worthless. The game is still not for everyone, but certainly gets a lot better after the first 3 minutes and 22 seconds or whatever.

I did it alone because I had the skill to do it alone. I was pretty sure the other stalkers would just get in my way or get themselves killed. After taking care of the bandits in the camp, I shot the hostage in the face 3 times(yeah I had to headshot him 3 times to kill him... It reminded me Deus Ex: IW) after getting his info just for the hell of it.

There's something off about the game that I just can't put my finger on thats repelling me.

I had no trouble with headshots, even without a scope. I aimed at the neck and fired a burst of three. As recoil made the gun angle upward, one of the bullets usually hit the head for an instant kill.

I did it alone because I had the skill to do it alone. I was pretty sure the other stalkers would just get in my way or get themselves killed. After taking care of the bandits in the camp, I shot the hostage in the face 3 times(yeah I had to headshot him 3 times to kill him... It reminded me Deus Ex: IW) after getting his info just for the hell of it.

There's something off about the game that I just can't put my finger on thats repelling me.
It's because it's a different game. You are used to normal shooters that take advantage of your skillz. STALKER is hardly real life, but you wouldn't exactly want to take on 10 bandits with a handgun. (BOOM! Head-SHOT!)

If you can lower yourself to it, try bringing the stalkers and let them start fighting the bandits, then concentrate on flanking around and shooting the bad guys from the side.

I have no idea why it took you 3 headshots to kill the hostage. Maybe they gave him more health because he is an important character. Anyway, you should probably delete the game. Everyone else might be salvageable -- at least to make an honest effort. :D

STALKER is one of the best FPS games, combined with Oblivion Lost, it is probably my favorite single player FPS of the last few years.

This game takes creativty and skill to survive, it's about you putting yourself in the shoes of a poor and weak individual in a hostile zone trying to survive. If something you are doing isn't working - try something else. I don't know how you have trouble attacking the carpark, you have other stalkers from the village helping you if you managed to contact them. Then you pick up the weapons and sell them. As for the dogs, headshots kill them easily.

The best way to deal with the beginning of the game is to kill and loot as safely as possible until you can afford the Winchester rifle. Then you can pick people off including animals. Make sure you explore the beginning village for hidden armor.

It's more about role play than you owning everything and everyone. The game does start out slow, otherwise you would die even more often. Hike it to next section. Definetely get the Oblivion Lost mod though.

The combat does feel all wrong to start off, but I attributed that to the fact that I was using some knocked-together dirt cheap Russian pistol and rough old shotguns.

You progress to the 74u before long, and then the AKs and Abakans. They're not brilliant either, but it's enough of a reward for you to persist. Then, before you know it you've struggled to the bar area, and on to the train yard. There's LR300s, L85A1s, and others. They become more accurate, and now you've got some good gear to go with all the practice and training you've had on the budget pieces, you realise that the game doesn't just drop it all at your feet.

It's about progression, and it's far more rewarding, to me, at least, to battle my way through the hard early firefights and feel like I've earnt the better guns by picking them up off someone who had better kit than just to find them in an 'oh-how-convenient-there's-a-better-gun-lying-on-the-floor' hallway, littered about the place H-L2 style.

Do not tell new players to get Oblivion Lost. That has to be the dumbest suggestion ever for someone that is struggling to make it past the first 5 minutes of the vanilla game.

Same here, just can't seem to get into the game, didn't work out with Oblivion either. ): I need confined space.

Oblivion Lost is much easier in the beginning if you search around for a better weapon. Hint hint.

They problem I see people having with this game is that they play it as a typical FPS such as COD, or HL2. Running and gunning in this game will get you killed. You need to use some tactics and be aware of your surroundings to make it through this game. At first when your character only has a basic weapons stay away from the tougher opponents, and do not take on large groups of enemies alone. And if things get too hairy, run away. There is no need to keep dieing in one place if you are outmatched. In firefights use good cover and keep moving, otherwise the enemy will try to flank you. Once you get some decent armor and weapons then you can be more brazen.
The lousy story is another major stumbling block for many players with this game. A major fault I have with the game is that the story is underwhelming. The true end of the game was anticlimactic and a major let down. The false endings are much more entertaining to say the least. Also I found the NPCs are nondescript, with lousy dialogue.

Yup, don't play unless you have the personality that can get involved in good atmosphere.

STALKER was so intriguing for me that the day after I beat it the first time, I spent like an hour (while at work) perusing Wikipedia and Google reading all I could about the incident.

Stalker is not a typical FPS or even a sandbox type game. It's a immersive vicarious experience. You have to be one of those people that like being placed in a strange and open place and accepting the limitations of your character and then just be somebody who likes to be nomadic and explore.

You can't play it like other FPS because you'll simply die, it's a very harsh world and you start off like a real traveller who got lost in a foreign country. No money, no clothes, gear, equipment, and at first, it's very very hard to get started unless you are smart or explore or take the hints in this thread and explore the village for stashed armor/weapons.

You also are not going to survive head-on battles early on. You are going to have to really use grief tactics. Some of the best fun I ever had in that game was luring enemies out by keeping my distance and griefing them with the Winchester. I took out the entire army outpost at the south like that, collected tons of AKs and sold them for a good start to the game.

Finally I suggested Oblivion Lost because the atmosphere, pacing, etc. is just so damn much better that people who find themselves disinterested may have their minds changed by trying OL despite the difficulty.

STALKER was so intriguing for me that the day after I beat it the first time, I spent like an hour (while at work) perusing Wikipedia and Google reading all I could about the incident.
It's worth reading Roadside Picnic, which is available for free online as a PDF. The movie, STALKER, has some cute stuff that might feel familiar (tossing bolts, anomalies, etc.), but it's really slow and artistic so you can skip that one if necessary.

Back