How do you downgrade from Ubuntu 13.04 to 12.10??

SHDSM

n00b
My brother was using my laptop that had Ubuntu 12.10 and everything ran smoothly. A pop up came up and said a new version was available (13.04) so he thought he'd update it for me. What a horrible mistake that was.

I am wondering how you'd go about switching back to the 12.10 version?

Thanks

In all honesty, there is no easy way to do that (ie. There is no: apt-get remove upgrade --- lol just not happening). I did this a long time ago in 10 or 11 and it was a pain - you'd have to find out what packages are missing, reinstall what the upgrade uninstalled, uninstall the upgrade, and then hope that something didn't get borked. You're better off backing up your home and reinstalling 12.10.

Most people recommend doing a clean install of Ubuntu after each release. This would be after backing up all important data & taking in to account of what major packages were installed.

I personally just keep upgrading from older versions unless there's a major snag.

As far as speed goes, 13.04 is much faster for me (on a VM though).

You don't. You could manually roll back dozens of packages, but it will be easier to just back up your data and reinstall.

Fresh install and dont ever upgrade to new versions of an OS whether its windows or linux. 15 years and i have yet to have an upgrade work flawlessly on any OS.

Back