How do you create a CD that can boot multiple images?

Nazo

2[H]4U
I've always wanted to be able to do this, but, only a bit more recently (relatively that is) has it really become possible thanks most of all to Isolinux & memdisk. However, I still don't entirely understand the details of how to go about doing all of this. Basically, what I want to do is create a bootable DVD which has my copy of Windows 98 SE, XP (SP2 slipstreamed) and several tools such as Partition Magic. Such a disc would be so amazingly useful to me... (Especially if I can get it all together down to 1.4GB as then I could put it on one of my pocket DVDRWs for the ultimate tool that's even easy to carry.)

I shouldn't have to tell you the obvious problems here. It's easy to use those tools to create a bootable disc that uses floppy images, but, when it comes to XP, it gets more tricky since it uses it's own special boot image (I want that recovery console, it has saved me on a few occasions.) Not to mention that if I can manage to figure it out, I'd love to put System Rescue CD on there too, which uses one of those live linux type things so is also a bit of a specialized boot image (might be easier here since it's linux, but, I don't know a thing about how to make it actually work.)

Is anyone a bit more experience in this area? At least since I'm going to be using a RW I can afford to make mistakes. I have a couple of full sized DVD-RW discs as well, so no problem there even if the space doesn't work out. Still, I'd rather not waste hours upon hours making mistake after mistake. Especially since I can't even figure out where to start here anyway. I know some people are playing around with this sort of thing (for example, that system rescue CD has memtest and dos on it in addition to the linux stuff) so I'm hoping one of you here would have experience with this.

have a look here
flyakite will take you through it step by step
and the guys over at msfn are more than willing to help if you hit a snag along the way

Ya, take a look at either those links, they have a lot of usefull info. Also, I would recommend of getting a copy of MS Virutaul PC or VMWare. It lets you create a virtual PC where you can do test installs and builds before you even have to burn a CD until your final build is done. Good luck!

I've spent several months on my disc. So I have a good amount of insight on the topic. If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a msg. Pretty broad topic though so those sites mentioned are defiantelly a good place to start.

Good place to hang out is also MSFN.org on their forums. Got some nice tools and gadjets people have written to make your disc alot nicer.

Back