How do you cool your RAID/HBA cards?

eptesicus

n00b
I rigged a fan to force air onto the heatsink of my IBM M5015 (below), but I'd like to find a better way (the proper way) to cool the card. How do you cool your RAID/HBA controllers? What would be the best method of cooling my M5015?

tgYuTMgh.jpg

I don't, if it's got just a heatsink on it then it's designed around such and doesn't need a fan on it provided the case has adequate airflow.

I don't, if it's got just a heatsink on it then it's designed around such and doesn't need a fan on it provided the case has adequate airflow.

This. So long as the case has good airflow you don't need one. Even with cases that don't I've never had any issues. Engineers tend to over design things exactly for that reason.

I disagree with the passive only comments.

I've had more than one die from what I suspect is overheating (they run so damn hot). They are meant for server cases with great front to back airflow, and in a desktop case with a more bottom-front to top-rear airflow they don't get much (did anyone even understand what I'm trying to say here?)

Basically, if you have a good front-to-back flow then its probably fine, otherwise I would put a fan. I used a little 40 mm fan and just screwed it on the fins.

Back