• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do you cool your RAID/HBA cards?

eptesicus

n00b
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
62
I rigged a fan to force air onto the heatsink of my IBM M5015 (below), but I'd like to find a better way (the proper way) to cool the card. How do you cool your RAID/HBA controllers? What would be the best method of cooling my M5015?

tgYuTMgh.jpg
 
I don't, if it's got just a heatsink on it then it's designed around such and doesn't need a fan on it provided the case has adequate airflow.
 
I don't, if it's got just a heatsink on it then it's designed around such and doesn't need a fan on it provided the case has adequate airflow.

This. So long as the case has good airflow you don't need one. Even with cases that don't I've never had any issues. Engineers tend to over design things exactly for that reason.
 
I disagree with the passive only comments.

I've had more than one die from what I suspect is overheating (they run so damn hot). They are meant for server cases with great front to back airflow, and in a desktop case with a more bottom-front to top-rear airflow they don't get much (did anyone even understand what I'm trying to say here?)

Basically, if you have a good front-to-back flow then its probably fine, otherwise I would put a fan. I used a little 40 mm fan and just screwed it on the fins.
 
Back
Top