How do you care for your LCD?

colbert

n00b
What kind of cleaning method do you use?

What's the longest you leave it on idle? What's your timer to activate screensaver?

Should I turn it off whenever I am leaving it idle for a few minutes, or is that okay? I leave my PC on all the time, so overnight is it okay to turn the LCD off or should I also unplug the power to it?

I use a vinegar based glass cleaner as vinegar evaporates very fast.
Even water will soak into the top layers on the screen so dont leave it wet for long.
I dont recommend any solvents.

Burn in doesnt happen in the same way on LCDs, you can get what is called image persistence which fades away again when different images are displayed
This only haoppens noticably when the LCD gets too warm so if you suffer from it on hot days, blow a fan at your LCD.
Displaying a white screen will get rid of a persisting image faster than having the LCD turned off.

When not using it, by all means turn it off.
Standby will use a little power, if that concerns you, use the power switch.
Unless it gets very hot while in use, there wont be much damage caused by heating and cooling of electronic components so its ok to turn it off when you like.

I wouldn't use vinegar on mine, since it's really low-level acetic acid. It might damage the glossy/antiglare coatings on an LCD.

I just try to keep my LCDs dust-free by wiping them with a wet cloth every now and then, and try not to touch the screen. I also encourage visitors not to touch the screen if they look like they're about to smudge it up. When the screen gets dirty I just wipe it with a wet cloth. I don't use paper towels or tissues since they leave behind little bits of themselves.

Good suggestions. I'm going to buy an "LCD cleaner," I'm not taking any chances.

I just googled some more and saw some suggestions on putting a plastic bag over it during overnight. Good idea or unnecessary/wrong?

Also about leaving it on, I think that's the area I'm most concerned about. Roughly how long is an "okay" amount of time to leave the screen on while I step away? 1 minute, 10, 30, an hour? Just got mine yesterday and so far today I've been hitting the power button every time I step away to washroom or go to grab a snack.

Good suggestions. I'm going to buy an "LCD cleaner," I'm not taking any chances.

I just googled some more and saw some suggestions on putting a plastic bag over it during overnight. Good idea or unnecessary/wrong?

Also about leaving it on, I think that's the area I'm most concerned about. Roughly how long is an "okay" amount of time to leave the screen on while I step away? 1 minute, 10, 30, an hour? Just got mine yesterday and so far today I've been hitting the power button every time I step away to washroom or go to grab a snack.

Unless the LCD is too warm (ie suffers image persistence), I wouldnt worry about leaving it on at all, only for electricity usage purposes.
If you do discover it has image persistence, cool it better or turn it off when not using for more than 1/2hr.

I wrap mine in shrink wrap so it will perfect it from everything. You never know.
I asked my grandmother where she gets those plastic covers for the sofas to see if they sell them for monitors. I already put it on my computer chair.
LOL

To clean I just use water and a paper towel.

I also keep my computer on 24/7. I have my screensaver set at three minutes--mainly because I have it resume with password protection, though. I have it set to go into standby after 30 minutes.

Besides that, the only other "care" I take for it is making sure I use the box/packaging that it came in whenever I transport it. I view this as the most important.

You are way too paranoid. From what I have seen lcd's have a 30,000 to 60,000 hour lamp life. If you leave the lcd on 24/7 you have between 3.42-6.84 years of lamp life. You will more than likely damage your screen by putting a plastic bag over it at night because you will be constantly touching your monitor and will probably scratch the screen. The less you touch it the better. Set a screen saver to 5 min, and put the monitor to sleep after 10min if your worried about it staying on. Clean it with water and cotton rag if it gets dirty.

WTF do you guys have to clean off your lcds anyway? Do you guys piss on your screens or something. I've never, ever cleaned my lcd monitors with anything and haven't had any need to either. The screen itself doesn't even get dusty, only on top of the monitor, but that's no biggie. I suggest not spitting on your monitors or eating infront of them or whatever you do to need some heavy duty cleaning gear for your screens.

WTF do you guys have to clean off your lcds anyway? Do you guys piss on your screens or something. I've never, ever cleaned my lcd monitors with anything and haven't had any need to either. The screen itself doesn't even get dusty, only on top of the monitor, but that's no biggie. I suggest not spitting on your monitors or eating infront of them or whatever you do to need some heavy duty cleaning gear for your screens.

It depends how many friends you have and whether they go near your screen much.
Its not difficult to imagine the mess that oily fingers and spittle can make.

If you even have an accident like getting food etc on the screen, surely its a good idea to know how to clean it?

If you even have an accident like getting food etc on the screen, surely its a good idea to know how to clean it?

Well atleast my firends pretty much have lcds themselves and understand to keep their fingers to themselves. And food just doesn't get on the lcd, unless your lcd is in the kitchen or something. I think it's better to just not get any shit on the screen in the first place, so no need to worry about cleaning it either.

When we've had a few beers, I prefer not to break the party up by telling them off all the time.
I just clean the screen later.

Go to Binyons eyworld and pick up the $10 eyeglass cleaner. It hqas a microfiber cloth and a whole bunch of eyeglass cleaner.

I hired a personal bodyguard to stand outside of my 3-foot thick wall of lead leading to my computer desk. In order to access said desk you must have a sample of my pubic hair. And if you arent me my bodyguard kicks your ass anyway. It's expensive but well worth it, I mean monitors are like a $200 investment.

try live in panel block where is dusty enviroment a normal thing, i must clean my monitors , cases and other hardware every week, im using blankets and other protections to reduce dust on them...

and of course my stupid brother, mother and friends touching and pressing into screen...:(
I hired a personal bodyguard to stand outside of my 3-foot thick wall of lead leading to my computer desk. In order to access said desk you must have a sample of my pubic hair. And if you arent me my bodyguard kicks your ass anyway. It's expensive but well worth it, I mean monitors are like a $200 investment.
WTF???

you would think strapping the monitor to the top of your car and going through a car wash would be effective, but i don't recommend it

you would think strapping the monitor to the top of your car and going through a car wash would be effective, but i don't recommend it
LCD monitor is electric device, so i think that lot of water in carwash may permanently damage it

btw: i dont have car :( we have a trams and rapid transit here :D

LCD monitor is electric device, so i think that lot of water in carwash may permanently damage it

btw: i dont have car :( we have a trams and rapid transit here :D

rofl,
you didnt spot that he was being a tad... sarcastic?

I use a regular cleaning method. I use fibercloth and 50/50 water with 70% alcohol. It works great. I've never touch a screen, and my parents learnt not to. However, there're annoying visitors that they like to touch it, so a few times I told them nicely that there is no reason to touch the screen. When I go to my cousin's place, uhh, what a terrible care of monitor. The screen is full of fingerprints, and other crap. It looks disgusting, and don't understand how they can stand that.

you forgot to add.... pr0n watching and its projectile effects.

I use a regular cleaning method. I use fibercloth and 50/50 water with 70% alcohol. It works great. I've never touch a screen, and my parents learnt not to. However, there're annoying visitors that they like to touch it, so a few times I told them nicely that there is no reason to touch the screen. When I go to my cousin's place, uhh, what a terrible care of monitor. The screen is full of fingerprints, and other crap. It looks disgusting, and don't understand how they can stand that.

I would use like 70% cut in half at most. 70% is really freakin strong. it can mess up the bonds of things like coatings at high concentrations. I would go with 35% and cut it with water 50/50

Back