• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do these specs look for a new box?

Wingy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
Messages
1,294
Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Retail
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 (Platiunum Heatspreader type)
WD Raptor 74GB 10, 000RPM SATA Hard Drive
WD 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Lite-On DVD-RW

You'll notice I havn't chosen a videocard. The main use for this machine is that it is to be a gaming machine, and a machine for playing poker. The kid I'm building for is quite the online player, and wants a dual monitor setup, monitors to be chosen later. However, I'm pretty sure they will both be DVI. I'm wondering on a video card recommendation from you. I was thinking in the range of a 6600GT PCIe, But I'm just not sure. I've never done a dual monitor setup.

Also, should I go for the Newcastle core or winchester on that cpu?

I should also note, be bought an Antec Case that came with an Antec PSU, not sure on the specs of that at the moment. However, I'm sure it's enough to power this system. Are there any special things I should know about running PCIe as far as the PSU is concerned?

But overall, does this system seem pretty good? I appreciate the input.
 
If you're building it for him, i'm assuming he won't be overclocking... so why get overclocker RAM?
Also, why not two burners?
For the secondary hard drive, I would recommend a 16mb cache drive. The WD SATAs are falling behind at this point in performance compared to Maxtor and Seagate's newest offerings
 
Vertigo Acid said:
If you're building it for him, i'm assuming he won't be overclocking... so why get overclocker RAM?
Also, why not two burners?
For the secondary hard drive, I would recommend a 16mb cache drive. The WD SATAs are falling behind at this point in performance compared to Maxtor and Seagate's newest offerings

You are correct in assuming there will be no overclocking.
I always thought Corsair made the best quality RAM. Any recommendations?
I'll looking to the 16mb cache drives. Also, any video card reccomendations?
 
If it will save you some $$ you could get Mushkin memory, still very reliable.

As for a power supply that came with the case you should be good since I also have an Antec POSU and it works fine.

I don't know what your budget is but you could get a 6800GT or X800 depending on your preference between the two companies.
 
Lite-On 16X, DVD Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-1673S Black, Retail
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only
Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6B300S0, OEM Drive Only
Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
US Robotics 56K V.90 Internal PCI Modem, Model USR263090 - OEM
2xSAMSUNG 172X-Silver 17" LCD Monitor -RETAIL
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
AMD Athlon 64 3800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor, Socket 939 - Retail
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, PCI-Express, Model "R43C-NVD3D" -RETAIL


How's that look?
 
just get some corsair value select for the RAM
I've got a 1GB pair - PM me if interested

and does the video card have dual DVI?
 
EnderW said:
just get some corsair value select for the RAM
I've got a 1GB pair - PM me if interested

and does the video card have dual DVI?

if he wants to do dual moniters, and have two lcds.. the answer should be yes !
 
Back
Top