How do smartphones work?

osalcido

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had the same old basic voice phone for the past 5 years with Sprint. No web access, no Sim card, no anything. Very basic

Im going to upgrade but..

I have no idea how it works with the newer phones. I don't really want to be locked in with any provider (I'm military and constantly moving) so Im guessing I want to buy an unlocked phone. Ok Good.

Now... I know I want 3g too and i'm looking at a few of the HTC offerings. How do I know which will be compatible with which networks? Is there just a standard 3g from all service providers or will it be like AT&T brand 3g , T-Mobile brand 3g, Verizon 3g.. I guess that would defeat the purpose of having an unlocked phone if it's only compatible with a certain network

Also, since I'll be using my own purchased phone.. I'm guessing i wont need any contract. Will the major providers allow me to use their service month to month? Again, if not, what's the point of purchasing an unlocked phone if i'm still locked in a contract?

Unlocked phones in america will only work on tmobile and ATT. That being said, its not a bad idea to buy one especially if you are going to be traveling around the world. ATT and tmobile use the standard most currently implemented around the world. I would just go phone shopping, and search websites for the european spec phones.

You should be able to go month to month if you buy the phone out of contract.

If sprint has worked for you the past 5 years, stay with them. Their smartphone plans are by far the cheapest, and in you have reception in your area, the data speeds are great as well.

Also, if you've been fine with Sprint for 5 years, what's the problem with being locked in for another two? Either way, you could always upgrade your plan and buy a second hand Sprint smartphone, and not have to sign a contract.

yeah, sprint is certainly NOT the cheapest. Tmobile is. Don't take my word for it, look at the sites ;-) 85 vs 100 for unlimited everything IIRC.
Also, ATT and Tmo do not use the same 3G band.
T mobile will give you the code to unlock your phone if you are traveling over seas. I did this last year when I went to New Zealand. Told them about it, read off my IMEI code and a couple days later they sent me an email with the unlock code. Pretty nice not to have to hack your phone or pay someone to unlock it. Most if not all providers have pay as you go plans.

yeah, sprint is certainly NOT the cheapest. Tmobile is. Don't take my word for it, look at the sites ;-) 85 vs 100 for unlimited everything IIRC.

Yes, if you compare paying $100 for a phone vs $500 for a phone. Apples to apples, since the OP IS looking for a new phone as well.

Sprint is cheaper.

If you want a "World Phone", go to ATT, they use the same 3G bands as most of the world.
T-Mobile uses 2100/1700, which also makes the iPhone 3G not compatible on their 3G network. :(

Sprint now has free mobile to mobile. That is any network any time. And nights weekends starts at 7pm. So now the 500 minute plan should be more than enough for most people.

I'm on the hero. With the everythingbplan you can be off network for 60% of the time and will not be charged roaming fees. Gps is included and Is not locked down. Heck it took about 30 seconds to root this phone.

My coworkers have been playing with it and commenting how much nicer it is compared to the iPhone. And auto complete and correct on the keyboard makes most entry snap.

I'm doing this all from my Sprint hero

Back