how do i wipe the hard drive

please help computer is fucked and want to start new by wiping the harddrive who do i??
i have windows 98 now

make a windows 98 startup disk.. you can do this is "add remove programs" in control panel.

then boot from the cd..

it will boot into dos.. then type "format c: /s" in dos.

but.. what are you going to put back on it? win98

if you can, i would suggest windows 2000.. but what are the specs of the computer.. it needs to be able to handle it..

Get a lint free cloth, and a bowl of water. Then wipe the drive with the damp cloth WITH THE GRAIN. It is vital that you wipe with the grain or you may damage your drive. Afterward, simply apply a thin layer of the furniture polish of your choice and enjoy your newly wiped drive.

I prefer to do a low level format and completely clean the drive back to factory specs. Get the HDD maker and just go to the website and look for HDD tools. Each manufacturer has it's own flavor of LLF so use theirs. The instructions are very simple and it is foolproof (well almost) All you have to do then is reload your OS and you are back in business. :)

jjviper2000 said:
please help computer is fucked and want to start new by wiping the harddrive who do i??
i have windows 98 now

DangerAardvark said:
Get a lint free cloth, and a bowl of water. Then wipe the drive with the damp cloth WITH THE GRAIN. It is vital that you wipe with the grain or you may damage your drive. Afterward, simply apply a thin layer of the furniture polish of your choice and enjoy your newly wiped drive.

lol. I laughed at 7:35 a.m. Who would've thunk that?

:D

-J.

Get ultimatebootcd and load an util called Autoclave, its wiping method is very efficient

OldMX

DangerAardvark said:

i prefer to loose the baked on, stuck on bits and bytes by tossing it into the microwave for a few seconds, then wiping it down.

Oh, dang...

So you mean soaking them for 15 minutes in soapy water beforehand is a waste of time?

I wonder if a toaster oven would work as well as a microwave. Or you could just try WD-40 to remove all those pesky stuck-on bits.

get a clean rag and carefully rub the rag over the outside of the harddrive until its cleaned to your satisfaction.

OldMX said:
Get ultimatebootcd and load an util called Autoclave, its wiping method is very efficient

OldMX

I agree, just did it to mine. I would suggest the 3 pass or the 25 pass. This will really clean the drive and get rid of any nasty virus' that can still linger on the drive. And an FYI. It took me forever to figure out why I couldn't get it to work. It asks you to type "I understand." minus the quotes. YOU MUST HAVE THE PERIOD. :D I was doing it without the period and could not get it to work for the longest time! I felt so stupid after that!

Getting back to the serious side, if you really need to ask this question, you probably should have someone there with you during the process and install.

I'm saying this not to be an ass, but to be helpful. We don't know how your drive is partitioned, and 9 times out of 10 when someone asks this question, the next day they create a thread asking how to recover data.

Back