How do I use Norton Ghost?

GaleForce

Gawd
It seemed simple enough but I am running into a problem. I tried using Norton Ghost on a computer at my office because the drive is saying, during post, "Disk failure immanent." So, I loaded the software up and chose "copy disc" to make a duplicate onto another harddrive so I could continue using the computer and the data. However, when I try to boot this new harddrive up it says a file is missing. Unfortunately I was in a rush so I didn't get a chance to write the file down, but basically when it goes to post it just gives me some acronym of a name "missing" and then "Press any key to reboot." I understand I have provided very limited information but hopefully someone can tell me if my copy method is correct and what options need to be selected. Thanks. :)

NTLDR is missing maybe? If you already have the Ghost image you should boot into Ghost with a floppy or CDROM. Once in there you can load the image you created onto the new hard drive. If you have both drives it would probably be easiest to hook them both up and Ghost from one drive to the other.

Yes! NTLDR! :D

I already did that btw. I hooked both HDs up. Took the new one, made it a slave. Did the copy to make it a bootable harddrive. Once it was done I took the old one out, made the new one the master, and booted up to get that error.

1. remove the floppy disk :p
2. change the boot order in the BIOS to point to the HDD you want to boot to
the first drive scanned (HDD 0 ) is the master on the primary IDE Channel

If you ARE booting to the correct driver already, NTLDR issues are easily fixed.

Boot from a window xp disk, enter the recovery console, and execute the "chkdsk /r" command. It might take awhile to finish, but I have had 100% success rate with it straightening out NTLDR issues.

There are other ways, but this is easiest.

chkdsk /r didn't work. It still says NTLDR is missing.

BTW this is Windows 2000.

I copied NTLDR and and NTDETECT.COM and it still says NTLDR is missing.

Ice Czar said:
2. change the boot order in the BIOS to point to the HDD you want to boot to
the first drive scanned (HDD 0 ) is the master on the primary IDE Channel

^ and its in the proper boot order?

remove all other HDDs

Back