How do I use CDROM from Server to play the game on my PC?

Becks4Me

n00b
I want to put all my CDRoms in a computer I have thats just sitting there as a print and file server right now, dont even need a monitor for it technically but sometimes friends use it for internet when here.

I want to just use all the cdroms in the server and be able to play a game thats in the cdrom on the server on one of the other computers in the house,
i know theres something called like virtual drive but I know i could set this up within windows.

it asks for to insert cdrom after i run any game from the cdrom on the server and i tried to change target paths to make it work and nothing i tried seemed to work, someone please help me with how to make this work please thanks for your time.

I'm not aware that any solution exists for this except a no cd-type hack, which is probably not an allowed topic on this forum :)

well this is what i do.

like my main pc, ill install my game i PURCHASED and copy an image of it to my server...in case i lose my disks, they get scratched. and its alot easier than havin to fuss with a cd when u wanna reinstall, just mount an image..

so i install alchol 120% on my pc, then snap an image of it and dump it to my server
when i wanna play my game, i just mount the image in 1 of alcohol 120% virttual drives, then i just go off and play....no nocd cracks or anything, and since i own it im able to do this method...riiiight???

or u can use dameon tools to mount an iso, but i like alcohol 120% since i can rip the image, and mount the image with 1 program...

P3N1X0R said:
well this is what i do...

Yeah I thought about suggesting that but wasn't sure if it was okay with the moderator types. That's what I do, too :D

the way i figure it, its legal...i own the damn game. i own the damn software. im gonna do what i gotta do to protect my hard copies, by making backups....cuz 1 time some jackass fucktard roommates friend, stole my HL1 CD back in college....luckily i had my stuff with steam, so he couldnt make an accountr using my cdkey...but that pissed me off still.

P3N1X0R said:
the way i figure it, its legal...i own the damn game. i own the damn software. im gonna do what i gotta do to protect my hard copies, by making backups....cuz 1 time some jackass fucktard roommates friend, stole my HL1 CD back in college....luckily i had my stuff with steam, so he couldnt make an accountr using my cdkey...but that pissed me off still.

I always strongly recommend that anyone who has the HD space (and who doesn't these days?) make backup images of every CD they buy. Storage is roughly $1 / GB, so it's a lot cheaper to buy a $40 drive and back up 60+ CDs than to lose a couple of titles to accidents and have to buy them again to get the CDs. Even if you don't have a cd burner at the time, image your CDs for backup. You can mount them as discussed above or even buy a burner when you need it. You can get a drive and a burner for less than $100 these days, and that's all you need for the security of every CD you'll buy for several years :D

But yeah, I've seen forums where discussing image mounting is considered paramout to using a nocd hack, so I didn't want to bring it up :p

PopeKevinI said:
But yeah, I've seen forums where discussing image mounting is considered paramout to using a nocd hack, so I didn't want to bring it up :p

w0w! i guess....since technically theres no cd...i guess its considered a no cd hack..but technically also isnt it legal, since u own the games? i guess its one of those grey areas. meh, i dont care im all about grey area topics :)

Thanks for all your help, I do not know how to make an image though and do this mounting you talk of, I remember fiddling with it a few years ago but dont you need to use some third party burning software like nero or something?

and how do you create the virtual drive to mount it on? I understand the concept but not how to implement it into my situation please be more specific on how to create and mount an image of the cd and use it from the server on a network pc.

and i have bought all my games, i just hate having the cdroms in my room and listening to that huge loud sound all the time when the fans are allready so loud. i am playing starcraft and need for speed hot pursuit and some warcraft and possibly ghost recon all games i bought and have real cds for.

Becks4Me said:
Thanks for all your help, I do not know how to make an image though and do this mounting you talk of, I remember fiddling with it a few years ago but dont you need to use some third party burning software like nero or something?

and how do you create the virtual drive to mount it on? I understand the concept but not how to implement it into my situation please be more specific on how to create and mount an image of the cd and use it from the server on a network pc.

and i have bought all my games, i just hate having the cdroms in my room and listening to that huge loud sound all the time when the fans are allready so loud. i am playing starcraft and need for speed hot pursuit and some warcraft and possibly ghost recon all games i bought and have real cds for.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, use alcohol 120% . Google it and you will see.

when u install alcohol120% and reboot, and load the program, itll automatically make a virtual drive for you

go into alcohol 120% and goto virtual drives, and then for file types select all, then all u need to do is rtclick on the cue/iso/mdf whatever extension the image has, and mount it to the virtual drive alcohol created.

for ripping an image of ur game its so friggin easy, simply goto image making wizard, then check the fast skip errors option, set the directory u wanna save the image in, and let it do its thing...usually it starts out slow ripping, but as it goes along it gets faster

if this is aginst the rules mods, delete this post i guess.....but i mean he owns the games, whats the harm in makin a backup incase it gets stolen scratched lost flooded etc

Basically, install Alcohol 120% and reboot. It'll make a virtual drive. To rip protected discs, use ClonyXXL to find what copy protection is used, and have it load the protection into Alcoholer, which will create a profile in Alcohol 120%, to make selecting the right copy protection for a given disc much easier. Then rip the image. No more swapping CD's to install games or to play them for that matter.
Also, IIRC the latest version of Alcohol 120% can install a service which makes it possible to mount a physical CD-rom drive in a remote computer onto a local virtual drive.

i dunno...to be honest, ive never had a problem with copy protection, on any of the latest and greatest games ive bought...doom 3, bf2, far cry, bf42, bf:viet, etc....i just do what i said...put disc in, tell to fast skip errors, image wwizard, copy disc, then dump image to my server, then mount the image over the network, and it just goes....no problems..

oh, i did have to change the derfault device name of the alcohol 120% virtual drive, bf2 kept saying no disc in drive....but it was mounted, so i changed dev name thinkjing it had some blacklist of devices of sorts, and havnt had a problem since

You can also share the cd drive over the network, but you're better off installing from that drive too. I was actually considering making an old school cd tower this way...just never got around to it.

Back