How do I test the connection speed to my server (i.e. what's the download rate)?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
How do I test the connection speed to my server (i.e. what's the download rate)? I'm still with GoDaddy, unfortunately, and I'd like to know what kind of speeds do they offer to my dedicated server. They may say one thing... but is there a test I can do (i.e. www.speedtest.net or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest), but for my server?

Thanks!

1. Yes, I do have user, admin, and root access to the server via SSH.

2. It's a Fedora 7 server; not Windows. There's no RD for Linux... I mean... I'm sure there is something like RD for Linux, but I just don't know of it and I don't know what it's called.

Any ideas??

Do you have SSH access?

1. Yes, I do have user, admin, and root access to the server via SSH.

2. It's a Fedora 7 server; not Windows. There's no RD for Linux... I mean... I'm sure there is something like RD for Linux, but I just don't know of it and I don't know what it's called.

Any ideas??

Already answered. ;) SSH is like RD.

To find out your download speed just download a big file from some high bandwidth server, such as one from Microsoft or Google. If you want to know your Upload speed, just find a computer with a good fast download speed, and then just download a file from your server to the computer and then you will have your upload speed.

wget is the command you'll be after, most likely.

I typically use a Linux ISO for testing.

Back