How do I test my PC's performance and stability?

blunt_eastwood

Limp Gawd
I recently upgraded my PC and everything is working fine. But I would like to know if there is a way I can run diagnostic tests to ensure everything is hooked up properly. And I would like to run some kind of performance checks to ensure it's performing at optimal speeds.

May I have some advice on how to do this?

I like using OCCT as an all-in-one stability/stress testing tool to make sure everything is working and running properly - especially when the system is really being hammered on. It's very complete and feature rich - and will tell you if there are any problems. It lets you test everything, or you can zero in on a specific component. Also monitors everything - power, temps, throughputs, performance, etc... Best of all it is free.

For performance benchmarks, I like to use 3DMark (TimeSpy) for GPU performance and CINEBENCH 20 for CPU performance testing. (CINEBENCH 23 also works, I actually use both to compare to other systems). These are fairly standard industry performance benchmarking tools used in most PC/hardware reviews - very easy to compare to other like hardware to make sure your rig is performing up to snuff.

Last edited:
I use Prime95 for the CPU,
Aida64 for memory and cache speeds,
Check the FPS in whatever games I'm playing using Steam overlay, FRAPS, or a built in benchmark.
AS-SSD and Iometer to measure storage performance.
On the networking side I create a RAM drive and share it on my home server and another RAM drive on the machine I'm testing, then copy ISOs or video files between them.
Iometer spec I use is 67% read/33% write, 100% random, 4k request size, queue depth of 4.

I throw some of the numbers into an Excel workbook and can compare over time if something feels off. It's also fun to see how my computer progress has compared over the last 15 years or so.

1627683453212.png

Back