how do i swap windows keys and versions between 2 computers?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
right now i have my 32 bit copy of win 7 on my gaming rig and my 64 bit version on my laptop. i want to swap them around. is there any way to do this? thanks in advance.

Why?

Your 32 bit key is good for the 64 bit version.

Just use the same key as you are using on the gaming rig right now with a 64 bit install media.

are you sure? its student edition, when i was in school they gave us one key for each. i will try that tomorrow but i dont know why they would have given us one of each if they can both be used for both versions.

are you sure? its student edition, when i was in school they gave us one key for each. i will try that tomorrow but i dont know why they would have given us one of each if they can both be used for both versions.

Theres no such thing as student edition...

Your Windows key isn't tied down to any language or 32bit or 64bit setup.

However it is tied to its version.

Home Premium key can't work on Professional and vice versa.

A Windows 7 Professional Key that is running an English Windows7 32bit will work on a French Windows 7 Professional 64bit but not a French Ultimate 64bit.

I don't know about your "student" version, but if you buy a Retail version of windows 7 you get two DVDs in the box. A 32 bit DVD and a 64 bit DVD, and one product code that will let you install either one. You can switch back and forth if you wish too. You just can't use that one product code on more than one PC. If you buy an OEM version on line you only get one DVD. You pick 32 bit or 64 bit. Your product code is still good for 32 or 64 bit and you can switch from one to the other. You only get one DVD in the box though so you initially have to chose 32 bit or 64 bit. Retail can be transfered to another PC. OEM is tied to the first PC its activated on.

alright good to hear. they gave us both versions of ultimate "student edition" so i will just try to install 64bit on both computers. :) thanks guys.

so i FINALLY got around to installing my new SSD today (been crazy busy at work) and wouldnt you know it, didnt work. it said that the key didnt match the windows SKU or something like that. so apparently this version of windows ultimate is uniquely x86 and x64. so does this mean im stuck with x86 on my gaming rig? i dont want to waste a key by installing x64 on there and losing the x86 key thats tied to the mobo right now. is there any way to untie the x86 one from the mobo?

also, the x86 one i want to move is OEM and the x64 one that can stay on my laptop is retail. not sure why that is since theyre both win 7 ultimate student that i got at the exact same time. :(

Last edited:
"the key didn't match the windows SKU" My guess is thats an OEM versus Retail glitch. A Retail product code and OEM install media or vice versa. The ei.cfg file on the DVD is what locks in what version is installed. Its in the sources folder. If you delete that file you will get a selection menu where you can pick what version you want to install. Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, etc. The Product code still has to match the version but you can use a Retail or OEM key.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/85813-windows-7-universal-installation-disc-create.html?filter[3]=Installation and Setup
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?filter[3]=Installation and Setup

i just did a full install with the x86 disk and the oem key. says it activated successfully but according to the definition of an OEM key it shouldnt have. whatever, everythings good now i think. hopefully it doesnt pop up a month from now and say "actually, we decided it didnt activate."

Back