how do I show empty CD/DVD drives in Windows 7 explorer?

jarthel

Limp Gawd
as title.

Unless I insert something, it would not show. I have unticked the "Hide empty drives in Computer" setting under "Folders and search" options but it is still not showing.

I've searched the net/forum for an answer but came away blank.

can you please help?

thank you :)

Usually they show by default, did they ever show at one point and time?

If I don't have a disc in the drive, I won't see it in the left Explorer pane - seeing it in the right one is easy. I'm pretty sure the OP means seeing it in the left one constantly. In this pic the drive itself shows up in the right pane as it should, but since there's no disc in the drive at the moment, it won't show up in the left (and no I don't run Explorer this small, just shrank the window for the pic):

drives.png

Fairly confident the OP wants it showing in that left pane consistently. As long as the drive is attached it's always going to show in the right pane...

I guess that could be what he is talking about...but what is the point? If there is nothing in it there really is no need for it to show :p

Yeah it is inconsistent but of no practical impact. I'll need to reasearch this a bit one day.

tools > options > view > []hide empty drives in the Computer folder

I guess that could be what he is talking about...but what is the point? If there is nothing in it there really is no need for it to show :p

well before win7, they show fine in the left pane :)

---------

thanks everyone. at least there's a workaround :)

Back