How do I setup Powerline Networking to connect Streaming TVs?

3WAYsplit

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning on going from cable tv to streaming tv. So I need to get my internet connections improved..

Right now my setup is this:

Room # 1

Cable TV coax to a Y split:
One coax goes to Cable DVR
One coax goes to Cable Modem

Modem plugs into my Router with my PC, Smart TV, WAP connected.

I would be adding two Fire TVs. One iin Room # 1 the second FireTV in Room# 3

I prefer to not run Ethernet along the whole length of my apt. But the Wifi signal from my WAP isn't cutting it.
For basic internet browsing it's passable. But it will never work for full time streaming tv.

Would Powerline Networking be a viable solution for me?

Hardware I plan / *must connect in Room # 3 are:
*Fire TV
*Router or WAP (moved from Room # 1)
Smart TV
Blu-ray Player

The WAP is used for laptop & tablet wifi.

What manufacturers have the Powerline Networking devices that will work for me?

How would I set this up?

I will have to look at the models I bought but i believe they were netgear and works great for me since my wifi signal is not great from office to bedroom for my smart tv. One thing I learned and it may only be my models was they didnt like being plugged into a powerstrip. straight into the wall and i got great speed immediately.

Powerline should solve your issue. A lot of people now are using them to get away from flaky wifi when running wires is either not an option, or just unpleasant.

I would recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...=1500991686&sr=1-4&keywords=powerline+adapter

Literally just plug and play.

Does this have 4 connections? How do I set them up correctly?

If I plug in my router to the first connection, what goes into the second? One the second unit could I plug in a device (IE: Fire TV) and a W.A.P. ? Would it work ok?

How exactly does this work? Where does it get its internet signal?

Could I use a Y-spliter to connect this? EX. cable in Y-split one end to tv, other into moca, etc...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
router->ethernet cable->device#1->[power line or cable outlet]->[power line or cable outlet]->device#2->ethernet cable->computer

router->ethernet cable->device#1->[power line or cable outlet]->[power line or cable outlet]->device#2->ethernet cable->computer

Sorry but I don't follow that. :( Are you explaining the MoCA or Powerline? I'm reading it as a combo of both.

it is the way both will work.

router->ethernet cable->MoCA#1->[cable outlet]->[cable outlet]->MoCA#2->ethernet cable->computer

router->ethernet cable->PLA#1->[power outlet]->[power outlet]->PLA#2->ethernet cable->computer

Reeeallly?

I have been wondering when they were going to branch into pro-sumer
yup, it's called Ethermagic... it's pricey...

they also have a server in beta

and a 10g router...

basically all the stuff you need to be a fiber isp, gpon switches and CPEs, which is probably going to be the most disruptive here, as it's CHEAP

bunch of cool stuff, you can see it if you've been given rights to the beta forums...

https://store.ubnt.com/products/ethermagic

does that link work?

yup, it's called Ethermagic... it's pricey...

they also have a server in beta

and a 10g router...

basically all the stuff you need to be a fiber isp, gpon switches and CPEs, which is probably going to be the most disruptive here, as it's CHEAP

bunch of cool stuff, you can see it if you've been given rights to the beta forums...

https://store.ubnt.com/products/ethermagic

does that link work?

Almost. It says that it's only available in the US which I am and won't let me read anything.

it is the way both will work.

router->ethernet cable->MoCA#1->[cable outlet]->[cable outlet]->MoCA#2->ethernet cable->computer

router->ethernet cable->PLA#1->[power outlet]->[power outlet]->PLA#2->ethernet cable->computer

Ok let me see if I got it right.

Router (Ethernet) connects to MoCA #1, then MoCA #1 (Coax) plugs int Cable Outlet. [Now In the another room] Cable Outlet (Coax) plugs into MoCA#2, then MoCA#2 (Ethernet) plugs into Device (FireTV, SmartTV, etc.)

Router (Ethernet) connects to PLA#1, then PLA#1 plugs int Outlet. [Now In the another room] PLA#2 plugs into outlet, then PLA#2 (Ethernet) plugs into Device (FireTV, SmartTV, etc.)

@ jiminator - The T-Link Powerline has a 3-port version. Does the MoCA have something similar?

The MoCA connection goes like this:

Router (Ethernet) connects to MoCA #1, then MoCA #1 (Coax) plugs int Cable Outlet. [Now In the another room] Cable Outlet (Coax) plugs into MoCA#2, then MoCA#2 (Ethernet) plugs into Device (FireTV, SmartTV, etc.)

How would I add it to my current setup without hindering my services?

hvysl2.png

Cable Outlet (Coax) plugs into Y-Split, Coax A goes to my Cable DVR, Coax B goes to my Cable Modem, then connects to my Router, PC, etc.

[In the other room]

Cable Outlet (Coax) & OTA Antenna (Coax) plug into AB Switch, then AB Switch (Coax) plugs into HDTV

you may want to get the powerline versions, they have 2 ports on each.

Why? Do you think the MoCA will disrupt my setup?

I do have two other unused Cable Outlets not being used in the second room. So I don't need to mess with the OTA, AB Switch setup.
But I think it's the Cable Modem setup that may suffer, right?

Would it matter if there wasn't a Y-Split in the Cable Modem setup?

The MoCA only connect to one device each, so if that does what you need it should work. From there it connects between the wall and cable. The splitters should not matter.

Note, some have suggested you may need a POE filter, https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6/
This would go outside the house between the cable line and home splitter block. It removes the signal from the cable wire.

Well that is not an option. I can't attach anything to the outside of my apt building.

Is the POE filter really "necessary"? Does it need to go outside, or could I install it inside near the MoCA boxes?

Which one of these powerline kits should I consider?

AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit TL-PA8030P KIT
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-PA8030P-KIT.html

AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit TL-WPA8630P KIT
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html

AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender, AV1200 Powerline Edition TL-WPA8730 KIT

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5509_TL-WPA8730-KIT.html

Everything I need connected in the main room is already connected to my router directly.
I plan to plug the other in the living room for Smart TV, Fire TV, Blu-ray Player. Wifi for my Laptop & Tablet is also need.

Do these all work in pairs? Or can I add on to the pairs with single units?

IE: First Unit Connects to Router/Outlet in Room #1, while Second Unit Connects to Smart TV/Outlet in Room #3. Could I add a Third Unit in Room #2??

Or do I need add in pairs? Another Unit to connect to Router/Outlet in Room #1. Then add a Unit in Room #2. 2 connected to my router, the other 2 in different rooms.

Last edited:
I went ahead and picked up the following:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H74VKZU/

Installed it today, very happy with it. I had tried powerline many years ago but it did not work. The general idea is that you "pair" two devices by pressing a button on each when they are plugged up. For more you buy additional single units and pair them.

The only possible gotcha is that power lines come in 240v, with a +120 rail and -120 rail in the circuit box. The adapters have to be on the same circuit, they will not work if one part of the house is wired to the + rail and the other side is wired to the - rail.

That means plugging them together into the same outlet, hitting the buttons to pair them and then taking one unit to the other part of the apartment, you want to use and plug it in. If you get 2 green lights on each you are good. From the way you describe your setup you probably want to put a wireless router in that room. Connect your wired to it and have wireless available for everything else.

The general idea is that you "pair" two devices by pressing a button on each when they are plugged up. For more you buy additional single units and pair them.

From the way you describe your setup you probably want to put a wireless router in that room. Connect your wired to it and have wireless available for everything else.

So they come in pairs & single units? So far I haven't seen them listed as single units yet.

I had webchat with a TP-Link rep yesterday. The rep told me I could use both the wireless & wifi versions together. I just had to get the initial setup paired. Then to add the third unit, plug it in near one of the others to pair it. Once paired I can move it to where I want it.

If I just use the wireless model then I could move my W.A.P. closer to the Laptop & tablet. But if I add the wifi model, I can remove the W.A.P. from my setup. At least that's what the TP-Link rep told me.

Back