How Do I setup a VPN Server?

aFive

2[H]4U
Well, there is a need for an actual VPN server at work, I need to set it up sometime next week. It is a single domain enviroment, so I would prefer it to integrate with my Domain Controller. I have read up on VPN servers awhile back, but nothing major. Where should I start? Any good guides on doing so?

Google is your friend. By the way what are you running ? means OS 2K,2K3 etc

Google is your friend. By the way what are you running ? means OS 2K,2K3 etc

Yea, I tried google, found couple of interesting things, I guess I am looking for some specific tutorial that I can run through on my home box to test out.

I am running Server 03 on all of the boxes here.

You should do a hardware vpn not a server IMO. Cheaper and IMO more reliable than a full blown PC.
There are many many appliances that fit what your looking for.

You should do a hardware vpn not a server IMO. Cheaper and IMO more reliable than a full blown PC.
There are many many appliances that fit what your looking for.

Well, we are currently using Fortinet Firewall that can do VPN. Problem is with the fact that the client only runs on XP and not Vista. What kind of appliance can I get to get very secure VPN? Maybe per user authentication?

Something like this would work.

http://products.nortel.com/go/produ...catId=null&parId=0&prod_id=53220&locale=en-US

If you need it to authenticate against active directory this machine may do it my tying into AD you would need to talk to a sales rep about that. But you definately want a system that authenticates your directory services.
There are more solutions then just this nortel unit but I have experience with them and their systems worked well.

Something like this would work.

http://products.nortel.com/go/produ...catId=null&parId=0&prod_id=53220&locale=en-US

If you need it to authenticate against active directory this machine may do it my tying into AD you would need to talk to a sales rep about that. But you definately want a system that authenticates your directory services.
There are more solutions then just this nortel unit but I have experience with them and their systems worked well.

That's pretty interesting. I am a total noob when it comes to VPN. How hard would this be to set up vs Server 03 running as VPN?

I have never setup a server to be te vpn endpoint. In my opinion thats is horrible security.
Personally if you went a hardware route I would have them install and set everything up the first time. This way the downtime (highly doubt there would be for a vpn endpoint) would be faster and its done right.
Pay attention on the install you so know how to work stuff when they are done.
The advantage is a small piece of software gets loaded onto the remote machines and in the software you have to put in your username and password. I think the built in windows connection auth with the user logged in ( I would be wrong about that)

Currently we have Fortigate100 firewall setup and i have little pre-shared key VPN going. Problem is with the fact taht the fortigate VPN client does not support VIsta, quite a few users that need to connect are on Windows Vista, any ideas on how to get around that? Have you worked with any fortinet firewalls?

Never worked with those firewalls but call the vendor and ask what their work around is. They should have to dig for you, alternatively you may ask them if another vpn client will work with your firewall. Most of the time other clients will work.

Back