I have 2 60 gig hdds and a IT7 mobo that supports raid 0+1. I would like to try raid zero but can't find the directions for how they should be hooked up. Should each drive have its on cable or should they share one? thanks
Your going to get some conflicting answers, but the fact is, your most likely not going to get any speed increases by going to RAID0. Some people still argue this and cannot accept it has fact, despite an increasing number of tests and sites proving it does nothing but increase your risk of data loss.
That being said, should you still decide to do it, I'd recommend using each drive on it's own cable. Your motherboard manual will clearly explain the BIOS settings needed.
I agree w/ ^^^ about the speed thing, unless you're using older drives, you really don't get much speed increase. The advantages of Raid 0 are really seen only in super high throughput (sp?) applications. (Aka, do you really want to cut your MTF just about in half just to load Doom 3 four seconds faster? I didn't think so :-p). After having said that, I do use Raid 0 in one of my computers, but that is for recording large amounts of audio at the same time as reading even more tracks of audio, and even then, I backup all files on the array every night onto my external 250 GB drive.
If you're still all about 4 second faster load times, read your manual, and yes, I'd recommend putting the drives on their own channels if you can get them by themselves (aka, no CD/DVD drive/s or anything). Good luck!