How do i set up and ftp server with a Lynksys router :(?

Hey guys do any of your know how to set up and ftp with a lynksys router... i cant seem to do it =-/ how do i get the machine i want to serve as an ftp out of the routers "protecting net"?... I am using Serv-U for the ftp server....

you should just be able to setup a port forwarding for the program. under advanced, forwarding i believe.

Type 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer. A login screen should come up, leave the username blank and put "admin" (no quotes) as the password (this is the default, unless you've changed it). Click on "Advanced", then click on "Forwarding". Type in the network IP address of your server in the box, the port(s) you want to forward, check TCP/UDP or whatever you need, check enable, and click apply!

Keep in mind these are just the defaults for Linksys routers, chances are it will be the same for you, but some things might be a tad different...

In your router's settings just set your port forward to the ip address of your FTP server.

Originally posted by memorie_and_data
should it matter if i have zone alarm?
Yes,
either open up those ports in za
or uninstall zone-alarm sense you are already behind NAT... you'll be fine

NAT is good enough for "home" use..
i still got my ZA Pro, but it is troublesome when it keep prompting u stuffs...

This looks pretty cool for being a beginner with servers.....ummmm I just installed and set up all the port forwarding...how do you access the server from a remote place

EXP:

http://162.147.2.1:21 ?????????????????

sorry to steal your thread dude...but this might help you out as well

Ok i got it to some what work...but im getting this message when i type in the IP:21

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.

Details:

A connection with the server could not be established."

Try a real ftp client, it will give you a better, more informative error. Exploder has shameful ftp capabilities as it stands. Besides, you don't actually need to specify port 21, as it is the default for FTP.

Back